Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Testing someones skillz...

I am trying to determine the level of Excel knowledge for someone I
recently started working with. I would like to put together some sort
of "test" which will show me what he knows. Is anyone aware of a test
like this (say online, or downloadable), or does anyone have any
suggestions as to what I could test him on?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel is such a broad and deep program it's hard to know what to test the guy
on without knowing what you'll rely on him for.

Example: will he be programming? Running financial models? Engineering?
Statistical analysis?

Someone can be expert in one of these areas and not knowledgeable about
another.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"ChuckF" wrote:

I am trying to determine the level of Excel knowledge for someone I
recently started working with. I would like to put together some sort
of "test" which will show me what he knows. Is anyone aware of a test
like this (say online, or downloadable), or does anyone have any
suggestions as to what I could test him on?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am looking to test his abilities when it comes to formulas, pivot
tables, lists. Nothing too over board. I have spreadsheets that have
been created that he will be maintaining, as well as needing to set up
other spreadsheets.

I basically want to make sure that if I ask him to set up a spreadsheet
containing vlookup's (insert any basic type of formula here), he won't
look at me like I have 2 heads.

"ChuckF" wrote:

I am trying to determine the level of Excel knowledge for someone I
recently started working with. I would like to put together some sort
of "test" which will show me what he knows. Is anyone aware of a test
like this (say online, or downloadable), or does anyone have any
suggestions as to what I could test him on?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could maybe gather together some of the (simpler) questions posed
in these newsgroups and use these as the basis of a test - rather like
"How would you solve these problems ?"

Hope this helps.

Pete

"ChuckF" wrote:

I am trying to determine the level of Excel knowledge for someone I
recently started working with. I would like to put together some sort
of "test" which will show me what he knows. Is anyone aware of a test
like this (say online, or downloadable), or does anyone have any
suggestions as to what I could test him on?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why not point him in the direction of this group and suggest he
responds to a sample of the postings.

It will quickly become obvious from other replies wherein lie his
strengths (or weaknesses).

Rgds

On 31 Aug 2006 10:38:20 -0700, "ChuckF"
wrote:

I am trying to determine the level of Excel knowledge for someone I
recently started working with. I would like to put together some sort
of "test" which will show me what he knows. Is anyone aware of a test
like this (say online, or downloadable), or does anyone have any
suggestions as to what I could test him on?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I assume the guy was hired with the expectation of knowing excel uses...even
if a master in one area, then he probably has the basics down pretty darn
good.

Why not just give him a new task...even if a made-up one, that would require
use of all the components, that he will need to understand and employ daily.

See what he struggles with, see what really stumps him...and maybe even see
what creative new ways of getting an end result...that may surprise you.
--
Linda