Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

I have a running worksheet to account for expenses and deposits. At the
bottom of the sheet are the total values. I have to keep "inserting" rows to
move the values further down the sheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tima

I can be done, but.....................

How will Excel know when you want to "automatically" insert a row or rows?

You generally need some sort of trigger to fire an automatic response.

Maybe a description of your layout and how you enter data will help.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:27:02 -0700, Tima wrote:

I have a running worksheet to account for expenses and deposits. At the
bottom of the sheet are the total values. I have to keep "inserting" rows to
move the values further down the sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Some folks create the "Totals" row a 1,000 or so rows below the last data
row.
Then, they just insert an additional row right before or after the header
row.
They *link* this extra row to the "Totals" row to display the totals and
*freeze* it together with the header row for a perpetual display of labels
and amounts.
--

HTH,

RD

"Tima" wrote in message
I have a running worksheet to account for expenses and deposits. At the
bottom of the sheet are the total values. I have to keep "inserting" rows
move the values further down the sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well!!! I did accomplish something better just now. I added rows between the
last data entry row and the totals row like you suggested. Then I placed the
totals row at the bottom of the page (view) and placed a split on the row
above it. So now my worksheet will show the running data entries and the
totals at the same time ans still update automatically.
Sorry that I forgot to rate your reply.

"Tima" wrote in message
I have a running worksheet to account for expenses and deposits. At the
bottom of the sheet are the total values. I have to keep "inserting" rows
move the values further down the sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No rating necessary since I'm coming *directly* from the msnews.microsoft
newsgroups.
All the ratings here are the feed-back that we get from you.<g

As far as linking is concerned, after you insert a new, blank row above or
below your headers,
scroll down to your "Totals" row.

Select the pertinent cells, say A1000 to E1000.
Right click in the selection and choose "Copy".

Navigate up to that new, blank row and right click in the Column A cell.
Choose "Paste Special", then click on "Paste Link", then <Esc, and you've
linked your rows.

All changes to the total row will *automatically* be displayed in that new
'pseudo' total row!

RD
-------------------

"Tima" wrote in message
I have a running worksheet to account for expenses and deposits. At the
bottom of the sheet are the total values. I have to keep "inserting" rows
move the values further down the sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gotcha.

After posting my whine I read over your exchange and realized I had taken the
question too literally.

Thanks for the slap upside the ear<g