Old May 4th 05, 06:56 PM
AdrianXing

Default Can Excel automatically insert current date in a cell?

Does anyone know of a function that can make Excel automatically insert the
current date into a cell when a file is opened up?

Old May 4th 05, 07:08 PM
Paul B

AdrianXing, you could put =TODAY() in a cell and it will up date, if you
don't want the date to change after you put it in use some code in the
workbook open event to do it, like this

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") = Date

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

Old June 30th 08, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

PaulB (or anyone) - I have a question about inserting a current date into a
spreadsheet, but I don't want the date to change once I've saved it, closed
it and reopened it on a different date. Can you explain the formula to
insert the current date in a cell (or range of cells) and once you save, that
date stays, but the next day enters that current date?

Old July 1st 08, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

While neither a formula solution nor an automated method, simply doing
Ctrl+; (in other words, holding down the Ctrl key while hitting the
semi-colon) will enter the current date as a static (non-changing)
date into the active cell.

Old March 6th 09, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How can I make today's date auto fill in a cell upon entering data in another
cell. I would like the cell B1 that contains the date to remain empty until I
enter data in cell A1.
Please advise.
Thanks.

Old March 6th 09, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

an easy way is to make cell B1 have =today() be in it, but format it
to white text.
then do conditional formatting that if
A1<""
then the text changes to black and the date can be seen. that way the
date is always there, you just don't see it until you enter data into
cell A1.
hope that helps.

susan

Old March 6th 09, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm assuming that once the date is added to the worksheet, you would not
want it to change. If that is the case, you will need to use VB event code
to handle this. Is a VB solution an acceptable choice?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)