Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

Default how do I email amacro?

I have a macro for excel that I use on a xl file that I download from a
server. How do I email that macro to a friend?
thx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Leo

Paste the macro in the body of the mail or paste in a txt file and send it.
Or send a workbook with the macro.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"leo" wrote in message ...
I have a macro for excel that I use on a xl file that I download from a
server. How do I email that macro to a friend?
thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

or
go into the VBA editor export the module to your desktop and mail it
that way.

Then the recipient can import that macro into their spreadsheet.

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

I opened the macro and pasted it into an email. How does the receiver store
it as a macro on his computer?

"leo" wrote in message ...
I have a macro for excel that I use on a xl file that I download from a
server. How do I email that macro to a friend?
thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The recipient will open a workbook and create a general module.

Recipient will then copy the macro text from the email and paste it into the
module.

Just the reverse of what you did to copy/paste into the body of the email.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"leo" wrote in message ...
I have a macro for excel that I use on a xl file that I download from a
server. How do I email that macro to a friend?
thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And just to add to Gord's response, that's a pretty good reason to avoid sending
the text version of the code.

Why not just send the workbook--or even create a dedicated workbook with your
utilities in it and share that workbook?

"leo" wrote in message ...
I have a macro for excel that I use on a xl file that I download from a
server. How do I email that macro to a friend?
thx

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the above
problems

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You haven't avoided the problem. You've just passed the problem to the
recipient. Most users of excel wouldn't know what to do with the text of a
macro (in my experience).

mr_ben wrote:

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the above
problems

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave Peterson Wrote: [color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the

above
problems

--

not how I see it

all you need to do is import the file (module), you don't need to
"touch" the text of the macro itself. (unless I'm completely missing
the point)

I may admittedly not explained the process that well... :oops:

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you're going to have to tell the recipient to save the text of the
message (or the attachment) somewhere.

Then you have to explain to open excel, open the VBE, find the correct project
and import that file. Then tell the user how to run the macro.

It sounds much more difficult than just emailing a .xls file.

mr_ben wrote:[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the

above
problems

--

not how I see it

all you need to do is import the file (module), you don't need to
"touch" the text of the macro itself. (unless I'm completely missing
the point)

I may admittedly not explained the process that well... :oops:

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

thanks to all of you but I need detailed step by step instructions on exactly
how to "import the file (module)" and for that matter the entire process.
I've never used VBE before but I'm willing to try, I'm not advanced as you
guys.

thx,

[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the
above
problems

--

not how I see it

all you need to do is import the file (module), you don't need to
"touch" the text of the macro itself. (unless I'm completely missing
the point)

I may admittedly not explained the process that well... :oops:

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

I don't think I explained it well enough. The receipient and I both work for
the same company. I have to download an xl file from the company server and
once downloaded i apply the macro. The file is a backlog file so the data
changes every day. He'll aslo have to download the data into xl and apply the
macro. So I need to email just the macro. If I send him the file which the
macro was applied to that does not do him any good unless he can grab the
macro form the file and apply it to a new download. So i need to know how to
mail just the macro. When I go into the workbook that has all my macros, it
just looks blank, i don't see anything copy.

[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the
above
problems

--

not how I see it

all you need to do is import the file (module), you don't need to
"touch" the text of the macro itself. (unless I'm completely missing
the point)

I may admittedly not explained the process that well... :oops:

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

therefore what I said IS needed therefore here's a step by step
guide.....

goto
Tools
Macro
VBE

this will open a different screen...

on the right hand side HOPEFULLY you will see the workbook that has the
macro...

double click module one that SHOULD be the macro you want (the title
will be in green)

if it is that one then right click you should be able to export it, to
anywhere on your computer.

Locate said file and then email it....

The reciepent need to repeat the process but they need to IMPORT the
module.

Can be done thru the file menu...

HTH

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569050

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't send the file which the macro was applied to.

Send the file that contains the macro.

leo wrote:[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And if the macro resides in the same workbook with some version of the data.

Open that workbook
Save it as a new name (don't destroy your original!)
Delete all the sheets but one.
Remove all the data on that last sheet.

Save that workbook once again.

Send this workbook to the other user.

Tell them to open this workbook when they need to run the macro--yes, the
workbook with the macro and the workbook with the data have to be open.

Tell them to select the workbook with the current data.
tools|macro|macros
Select the macro and click Run.

You'll should test this out before you send the workbook.

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

when i go into vbe the macro is not on the right. I noticed that if the file
with the macro is open and I go to macros, it has numbered the macro ( module
63).

To make it simple, how do I copy module 63 which is the macro I want to
send? Also once I send module 63, how does the user apply that to a file ?

[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Leo

You actually have a module63?

How many modules do you have?

For info only.............you can place many macros in a single module.

Back to your question....................

Select module63 and right-click on it.

Select "Export Module"

It will export as a *.bas file to any folder you wish.

Open your email program and create a new email to the recipient.

InsertFile.

Scroll to the *.bas file and OK. Send the email.

When the recipient receives the email he/she will save the *.bas file to a
folder.

Then open Excel and open the workbook recipient wants the macro inserted to.

Go into the VBEditor by using ALT + F11

Then select the workbook/project and right-click and "Import File"

Scroll to the *.bas file which was copied and click OK.

Save the workbook/project.

Now...wouldn't it be easier as Dave P. suggests to copy the macro and stick it
into a new workbook and send that workbook to the recipient?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

I know this sounds crazy but now when I do the same thing it just has the
name of the macro and leaves of the 63 number. I have at least 20 macros in a
file location in the xlstart up folder so when i open xl that workbook opens
immediately.

Anyway, when the workbook is open and I select tools/macro I see the macros.
If I reight click nothing happens so I can't export or copy any of the macros.

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please don't send the macro as text to the other users. If you think you're
having trouble exporting the modules so you can send them, imagine the phone
calls you'll get from each of the recipients when they receive your file.

Open the workbook with all those macros
save it as a new name--just in case!
Delete the modules you don't want.
Delete the data you don't want.
Save the file once more.

Send that file.

leo wrote:[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

Ok, I did that. Should the receipient put in in the xlstart folder so it
opens when he opens xl and thereby will function? If not, how does the user
apply the macro file to a newly downloaded file?

thx,

[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's the end user's choice (with your recommendation).

Personally, I wouldn't put it in XLStart. I only want things that are really
useful to all workbooks in that location.

If your routines are generic enough to be useful with every worksheet, then put
them there.

If your routines are specific to that downloaded data, I'd just tell the user to
open the file with the macros when they need them.

But the choice is yours (or the end users).

leo wrote:[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leo leo is offline

When I rename a new macro workbook by deleteing all other macros except the
on eI want, put the macro in xlstart and then open the data file and run the
macro it works fine. So thanks I can email a macro. When I do not put the
macro in xlstart but import thr data into the new macroworkbook it reformats
the data incorrectly. I don't understand it is the same macro

[color=blue]

mr_ben wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'd guess that you did something wrong--or even ran the macro against the wrong
worksheet--or ran it twice???

But those are just guesses.

leo wrote:[color=blue]