Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default how do I email amacro?

And if the macro resides in the same workbook with some version of the data.

Open that workbook
Save it as a new name (don't destroy your original!)
Delete all the sheets but one.
Remove all the data on that last sheet.

Save that workbook once again.

Send this workbook to the other user.

Tell them to open this workbook when they need to run the macro--yes, the
workbook with the macro and the workbook with the data have to be open.

Tell them to select the workbook with the current data.
tools|macro|macros
Select the macro and click Run.

You'll should test this out before you send the workbook.

Dave Peterson wrote:[color=blue]

Don't send the file which the macro was applied to.

Send the file that contains the macro.

leo wrote:

I don't think I explained it well enough. The receipient and I both work for
the same company. I have to download an xl file from the company server and
once downloaded i apply the macro. The file is a backlog file so the data
changes every day. He'll aslo have to download the data into xl and apply the
macro. So I need to email just the macro. If I send him the file which the
macro was applied to that does not do him any good unless he can grab the
macro form the file and apply it to a new download. So i need to know how to
mail just the macro. When I go into the workbook that has all my macros, it
just looks blank, i don't see anything copy.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

That's exactly why I suggested just emailing the workbook with the macro.

leo wrote:

thanks to all of you but I need detailed step by step instructions on exactly
how to "import the file (module)" and for that matter the entire process.
I've never used VBE before but I'm willing to try, I'm not advanced as you
guys.

thx,

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I think you're going to have to tell the recipient to save the text of the
message (or the attachment) somewhere.

Then you have to explain to open excel, open the VBE, find the correct project
and import that file. Then tell the user how to run the macro.

It sounds much more difficult than just emailing a .xls file.

mr_ben wrote:

Dave Peterson Wrote:
You haven't avoided the problem. You've just passed the problem to the
recipient. Most users of excel wouldn't know what to do with the text
of a
macro (in my experience).

mr_ben wrote:

or why don't you do it the way I said originally and avoid all the
above
problems

--

not how I see it

all you need to do is import the file (module), you don't need to
"touch" the text of the macro itself. (unless I'm completely missing
the point)

I may admittedly not explained the process that well... :oops:

--
mr_ben
mr_ben's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37106

--