Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Default calculate difference between two times

I have tried many different formats and formulas and the worksheet will not
calculate the difference between two times formatted as follows.

6/12/2006 8:03:14 PM 6/12/2006 8:08:55 PM #VALUE!
B8 C8

the formula I used is =C8-B8 and I continue to get #VALUE!!!!!!!!!

I have read the Excel help and it did not help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi Ken, is it formated as text?

i have been tryed id here and works =00:05:41

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"ken" escreveu:

I have tried many different formats and formulas and the worksheet will not
calculate the difference between two times formatted as follows.

6/12/2006 8:03:14 PM 6/12/2006 8:08:55 PM #VALUE!
B8 C8

the formula I used is =C8-B8 and I continue to get #VALUE!!!!!!!!!

I have read the Excel help and it did not help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Check and make sure that the entries are in fact real Excel dates/times.

Try these tests:

=ISNUMBER(B8)
=ISNUMBER(C8)

Both should return TRUE.

If either or both return FALSE....

Select either B8 or C8
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Finish

Repeat for the other cell if needed.

That might convert the entries to real dates/times.

Biff

"ken" wrote in message
I have tried many different formats and formulas and the worksheet will not
calculate the difference between two times formatted as follows.

6/12/2006 8:03:14 PM 6/12/2006 8:08:55 PM #VALUE!
B8 C8

the formula I used is =C8-B8 and I continue to get #VALUE!!!!!!!!!

I have read the Excel help and it did not help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Hi Marcel and Biff
i have tried both of your suggestions and still I get #VALUE!.

i have tried typing in the time manually and still nothing.

i am running out of ideas.

"ken" wrote in message
I have tried many different formats and formulas and the worksheet will not
calculate the difference between two times formatted as follows.

6/12/2006 8:03:14 PM 6/12/2006 8:08:55 PM #VALUE!
B8 C8

the formula I used is =C8-B8 and I continue to get #VALUE!!!!!!!!!

I have read the Excel help and it did not help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

I think that I have finally figured it out. When I manually enter the data
it works. I will have to write a macro or something to convert from string
to date format.

"ken" wrote in message
I have tried many different formats and formulas and the worksheet will not
calculate the difference between two times formatted as follows.

6/12/2006 8:03:14 PM 6/12/2006 8:08:55 PM #VALUE!
B8 C8

the formula I used is =C8-B8 and I continue to get #VALUE!!!!!!!!!

I have read the Excel help and it did not help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ken,

try to format the B8 as number it should return 38880,8355787037
do the same to C8 will be 38880,839525463

si this works ?

regards

"ken" wrote in message
I have tried many different formats and formulas and the worksheet will not
calculate the difference between two times formatted as follows.

6/12/2006 8:03:14 PM 6/12/2006 8:08:55 PM #VALUE!
B8 C8

the formula I used is =C8-B8 and I continue to get #VALUE!!!!!!!!!

I have read the Excel help and it did not help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"ken" wrote in message
I think that I have finally figured it out. When I manually enter the data
it works. I will have to write a macro or something to convert from
string
to date format.

You shouldn't need a macro. After you've formatted the cells as dates, put
a zero in a spare cell, copy, select the cells you want turning to dates,
then paste special/ add.
--
David Biddulph