Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TP TP is offline

Default Question on functions various Excel versions support

I am in process of creating an Excel template file that will be used by
multiple users who may have multiple versions of MicroSoft Excel on their PC.
The user will download the Excel file from my site, enter information in the
file and then upload the data to my website. Most of the data in the Excel
spreadsheet will be free form. There will be one colum where I'm creating a
picklist that the user must select from. I am currently using MicroSoft
Excel 2002. If I save this file as an older version like version 5.0/95
Workbook, will users who have this version on their PC support the picklist
functionality I've created in the template file?

Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TP TP is offline

Yes, I was using the data/validation function. Just to be certain I should
be able to save the file as Excel 97-2002 & 5.0/95 Workbook and it would work
fine for any user from XP to xl97, correct?

Why do you think the Forms toolbar is a better route to go than
Data/Validation?

TP wrote:

I am in process of creating an Excel template file that will be used by
multiple users who may have multiple versions of MicroSoft Excel on their PC.
The user will download the Excel file from my site, enter information in the
file and then upload the data to my website. Most of the data in the Excel
spreadsheet will be free form. There will be one colum where I'm creating a
picklist that the user must select from. I am currently using MicroSoft
Excel 2002. If I save this file as an older version like version 5.0/95
Workbook, will users who have this version on their PC support the picklist
functionality I've created in the template file?

Ted

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your users are only using xl97 to xl2002, then just save it as a normal
workbook.

But there is stuff that was added in xl2002 and xl2003 that doesn't exist in
previous versions. You'll want to test--although, I'd bet you won't have any
trouble.

And if any of your users are using xl95, the dropdown from the forms toolbar is
much better than Data|Validation--since that won't work in xl95.

In fact, if someone is using xl95, I'd just tell them that they have to
upgrade--your workbook doesn't support it. (11 years is pretty darn old in
software time.)