Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 24th 20, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2012
Posts: 8
Default microsoft 365

Is there a real benefit to get Microsoft-365 if to solve issues using VBA?

  #2   Report Post  
Old April 25th 20, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default microsoft 365

On 25-Apr-2020 9:48 am, bill k wrote:
Is there a real benefit to get Microsoft-365 if to solve issues using VBA?


I'm using Excel 2000 and almost exclusively for the VBA because it's an
extremely simple programming facility. I have had cause to use more
recent versions of Excel and, as well as my aversion to the "ribbon",
I've yet to identify any feature of the VBA in the more recent versions
that I need or would benefit from.

So, if you have access to an older version of Excel, it may be that the
version in Office 365 won't offer you much advantage.
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 25th 20, 03:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,184
Default microsoft 365

On 25-Apr-2020 9:48 am, bill k wrote:
Is there a real benefit to get Microsoft-365 if to solve issues using VBA?


I'm using Excel 2000 and almost exclusively for the VBA because it's an
extremely simple programming facility. I have had cause to use more recent
versions of Excel and, as well as my aversion to the "ribbon", I've yet to
identify any feature of the VBA in the more recent versions that I need or
would benefit from.

So, if you have access to an older version of Excel, it may be that the
version in Office 365 won't offer you much advantage.


Note that xl2007 and earlier uses VBA6; - xl2010 and later uses VBA7. VBA6 has
some misbehaviors in Win8 and later due to Shell DLL changes in Windows!

Note that 64bit MS Office is only available in v2010 and later.

Note also that there is an addin that gives you the classic (early) menus and
toolbars on a custom Ribbon tab for those whom feel disoriented using the
Ribbon, available here...

https://www.addintools.com/office2010/professionalplus/

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 26th 20, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 44
Default microsoft 365

"bill k" wrote in message
Is there a real benefit to get Microsoft-365 if to solve issues using VBA?


Unlikely 365 would make any difference to any VBA issues, though as you
didn't give any indication as to what particular issues difficult to be
specific. It's essentially the same as 2019 except for updates to the object
model for features that get trialled and released in 365 ahead of the
current near equivalent MSI version.

Peter T


  #5   Report Post  
Old May 2nd 20, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2020
Posts: 3
Default microsoft 365

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 2:48:17 PM UTC-7, bill k wrote:
Is there a real benefit to get Microsoft-365 if to solve issues using VBA?


Whiplash when you go from 2000 to post-2010, at least for me. I've finally adapted, but would LOVE to again to have MDI (where you can have multiple "documents" open in the same window. NOW you have to run multiple instances of excel, which means working across them is harder, and wasted screen space. OTOH, you can easily hide the menu row and/or button bar. If you hide the bar, but keep the menu open, it looks a lot like antique versions.

All that, but if I could go back to 2010 and have all the other improvements made since then...I would in a minute. MS only dumped MDI because it was HARD to maintain.
Pete A


  #6   Report Post  
Old May 2nd 20, 11:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,184
Default microsoft 365

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 2:48:17 PM UTC-7, bill k wrote:
Is there a real benefit to get Microsoft-365 if to solve issues using VBA?


Whiplash when you go from 2000 to post-2010, at least for me. I've finally
adapted, but would LOVE to again to have MDI (where you can have multiple
"documents" open in the same window. NOW you have to run multiple instances
of excel, which means working across them is harder, and wasted screen space.
OTOH, you can easily hide the menu row and/or button bar. If you hide the
bar, but keep the menu open, it looks a lot like antique versions.

All that, but if I could go back to 2010 and have all the other improvements
made since then...I would in a minute. MS only dumped MDI because it was
HARD to maintain. Pete A


Try TabsForOffice...

https://www.extendoffice.com/

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 6th 20, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 44
Default microsoft 365

"Pete A" wrote in message

All that, but if I could go back to 2010 and have all the other
improvements made
since then...I would in a minute.
MS only dumped MDI because it was HARD to maintain.


I didn't like the move to SDI either but not sure why you say they dumped it
because MDI is harder to maintain, I'd have thought the opposite.

The main reason given when 2013 was in development was to cater for the
increasing number of business users with multiple monitors. With MDI not
impossible but effectively not viable without using multiple instances, but
easy with SDI.

Peter T


  #8   Report Post  
Old May 6th 20, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2020
Posts: 3
Default microsoft 365

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 4:39:36 AM UTC-7, Peter T wrote:
"Pete A" wrote in message

All that, but if I could go back to 2010 and have all the other
improvements made
since then...I would in a minute.
MS only dumped MDI because it was HARD to maintain.


I didn't like the move to SDI either but not sure why you say they dumped it
because MDI is harder to maintain, I'd have thought the opposite.

The main reason given when 2013 was in development was to cater for the
increasing number of business users with multiple monitors. With MDI not
impossible but effectively not viable without using multiple instances, but
easy with SDI.

Interesting...

The main reason given when 2013 was in development was to cater for the
increasing number of business users with multiple monitors.

PA: Just to be sure my memory isn't faulty, This morning, I opened multiple instances of 2010 excel. I use 4 monitors. Each instance can be on any monitor, or they can share. The ONLY difference that I can see is that with SDI versions you lose the ability to share the menu bar (1 instance) with as many open workbooks (n instances) in a single EXCEL window. This wastes screen real estate, although you can obviously hide the menu apparatus, but not the rest of the screen stuff. With MDI I often ran 3 or 4 instances of Excel, each with more than one workbook open in it. Those who started with 2013 or later SDI versions may not easily grasp the effect of limiting one file or worksheet to one instance of excel. Reminds me a bit of the arguments about going from DOS to Windows...only in reverse.

“With MDI not impossible but effectively not viable without using multiple instances, but easy with SDI.”
Not sure what you mean. With SDI you can ONLY use multiple instances of excel. You CANNOT share an instance with multiple workbooks/worksheets open in that instance as was natural with MDI. Running multiple instances was the most common way to deal with interlocking workbooks/worksheets, or fast switching between multiple open worksheets under VBA control. We can only dream of that world now.

I can’t remember who it was, but a Microsoftie told me that the new programmers they hired had a tough time with MDI and kept screwing up…so someone decided to “fix” that problem by “simplifying” excel (“dumbing down?”).

Again, IMHO the MDI had NOTHING to do with use on multiple monitors.

Pete A

Anyway, we can’t go back

PS I tried to include the screenshot of multiple 2010's open at once...but cannot display in the 'groups interface

  #9   Report Post  
Old May 6th 20, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 44
Default microsoft 365


"Pete A" wrote in message On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at
4:39:36 AM UTC-7, Peter T wrote:
"Pete A" wrote in message

All that, but if I could go back to 2010 and have all the other
improvements made
since then...I would in a minute.
MS only dumped MDI because it was HARD to maintain.


I didn't like the move to SDI either but not sure why you say they dumped
it
because MDI is harder to maintain, I'd have thought the opposite.

The main reason given when 2013 was in development was to cater for the
increasing number of business users with multiple monitors. With MDI not
impossible but effectively not viable without using multiple instances,
but
easy with SDI.

Interesting...


The main reason given when 2013 was in development was to cater for the
increasing number of business users with multiple monitors.

PA: Just to be sure my memory isn't faulty, This morning, I opened multiple
instances of 2010 excel. I use 4 monitors. Each instance can be on any
monitor,

PT Exactly, with MDI need to use a separate instance for each monitor. OK,
with careful manipulation and time you can stretch a single instance
containing two non-max'd windows accross two monitors with a window sort of
occupying each, and the toolbar stretching accross both, I developed some
code to help do just that but not ideal, particularly if the monitors are
not same aspect ratio, size and res.

With SDI you with one instance you can easily place a different workbook in
each monitor with its own ribbon, or multple windows of the same workbook or
even different views of the same sheet in each monitor also with its own
ribbon. And this with all the normal advantages of everything in the same
single instance.

PA The ONLY difference that I can see is that with SDI versions you lose the
ability to share the menu bar (1 instance) with as many open workbooks (n
instances) in a single EXCEL window. This wastes screen real estate,
although you can obviously hide the menu apparatus, but not the rest of the
screen stuff. With MDI I often ran 3 or 4 instances of Excel, each with more
than one workbook open in it.

PT I agree about real estate and there's much else too I prefer about MDI.
However for most most people for most of the time typically it's best to
work with a single instance, and additional instances only for special
needs.

It is easy of course to open multiple instances in 2013 and later for such
needs - right click the Excel icon on the toolbar, hold Alt and click
"Excel", and accept the prompt to open a new instance.

PA Those who started with 2013 or later SDI versions may not easily grasp
the effect of limiting one file or worksheet to one instance of excel.
Reminds me a bit of the arguments about going from DOS to Windows...only in
reverse.

"With MDI not impossible but effectively not viable without using
multiple instances, but easy with SDI."
PA Not sure what you mean. With SDI you can ONLY use multiple instances of
excel. You CANNOT share an instance with multiple workbooks/worksheets open
in that instance as was natural with MDI. Running multiple instances was
the most common way to deal with interlocking workbooks/worksheets, or fast
switching between multiple open worksheets under VBA control. We can only
dream of that world now.

PT I think you misunderstand, SDI means "single document interface", same as
Word has always been. Unless you use the method I described above multiple
workbooks open in the same instance. You can control all workbooks and
windows with code in a single workbook or addin, just as you could with MDI,
but see below.

PA I can't remember who it was, but a Microsoftie told me that the new
programmers they hired had a tough time with MDI and kept screwing up.so
someone decided to "fix" that problem by "simplifying" excel ("dumbing
down?").

PT I can't think of anything programming wise that became easier with the
introduction of SDI. Quite the reverse, SDI introduced a number of issues
for programmers requiring workarounds, particularly anything to do with
windows.

PA Again, IMHO the MDI had NOTHING to do with use on multiple monitors.

PT OK that's an opinion, but what I mentioned about monitors was direct from
the Excel team at the time.

Peter T



  #10   Report Post  
Old May 6th 20, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2020
Posts: 3
Default microsoft 365

MDI vs SDI
Peter T: thanks for the reasoned dialog. I live in Excel 365 but keep 2010 around for those older apps that need to display n sheets concurrently in a single window, or stack them in one window and rapidly switch back and forth under user (button) or program control. That's what prompted my original post. Dreaming to simplify with only one interface that does both things equally well (MDI). Guess we've beat this one to silence.

Agree to disagree on the difficulty of MS programming excel platform between MDI & SDI.
Pete A


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import data from Microsoft SQL Server into Microsoft Excel Joe K. Excel Programming 0 September 29th 07 03:40 PM
Microsoft Visual Basic errors displaid when opening Microsoft Word 97 & Excel (7 JJ mac Setting up and Configuration of Excel 7 June 14th 07 06:54 PM
Relation Microsoft Access avec Microsoft Excel Mounir Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 August 23rd 06 10:43 AM
Change individual cell heights/widths in Microsoft Excel 2000 like Microsoft Word urbanplanner Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 7th 05 03:57 PM
How do I import Microsoft Word files into Microsoft Excel? Excel New Users to Excel 1 January 9th 05 01:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017