Junior Member

Location: South Wales, UK
Question Pivot Table Management

Hi

Is there any way that data in a pivot table can be password protected so that if a user was to select their name from a drop down it would prompt them for a password before the data is shown?

The reason i ask is because i have alot of personal data in a pivot table and the users are to only see the data relevant to them when i send it out. The only way i know how to do this currently is to send the pivot table out to each individual user ensuring that i firstly remove data not relevent to them.
As i have over 50+ users, doing this on a monthly basis is quite time consuming..I would prefer to send ONE pivot table to ALL users but with security measures in place.

Is this at all possible? :-/
Many Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pivot Table Management

--

Alice21

Hi Alice21,

By all accounts I have read from the "heavy lifter's" in all the Excel forums where I lurk... Use a password ONLY if all your users will 'play nice'.

Excel is not secure. Password busters are readily available and the only time I ever tried to break a password, (just to see for myself) it took me about 10 minutes or less to do so.

Regards,
Howard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's several approaches you could take to accomplish this with
'reasonable' security. I suspect each user has a different password!
Otherwise, what's to prevent them from selecting someone else's name?

The 1st choice for me would be to store the data in an encrypted text
file that I generate every month. This can be stored on a network share
to be accessed by your VBA project on 'user login'. Your VBA project
will only be able to decrypt the data file if it has the encryption key
somewhere. Simple thing to do, really. Also very easy to maintain since
you won't need to distribute a new Excel file every month. (Give
everyone an addin that creates menus for your processing)

Another option would be to store the data on a very hidden sheet inside
your project. This is less secure but keeps everything in the same
Excel file. A password will be needed to protect the workbook structure
so users can't display/find the very hidden sheet. Also, your VBA
project should be password locked so users can't view your code. This
approach can also create menus for your processing.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Junior Member

Location: South Wales, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS[_2_] View Post
The 1st choice for me would be to store the data in an encrypted text
file that I generate every month. This can be stored on a network share
to be accessed by your VBA project on 'user login'. Your VBA project
will only be able to decrypt the data file if it has the encryption key
somewhere. Simple thing to do, really. Also very easy to maintain since
you won't need to distribute a new Excel file every month. (Give
everyone an addin that creates menus for your processing)
Hi
Can you explain this encrypted method in more detail please?
The only issue i have is not all users have access to a shared network hence why I have to e-mail the data out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alice21 submitted this idea :
'GS[_2_ Wrote:
;1609981']
The 1st choice for me would be to store the data in an encrypted
text file that I generate every month. This can be stored on a
network share

to be accessed by your VBA project on 'user login'. Your VBA project
will only be able to decrypt the data file if it has the encryption
key

somewhere. Simple thing to do, really. Also very easy to maintain
since

you won't need to distribute a new Excel file every month. (Give
everyone an addin that creates menus for your processing)

Hi
Can you explain this encrypted method in more detail please?
The only issue i have is not all users have access to a shared
network hence why I have to e-mail the data out.

The 1st thing you'll need to do is create the addin that you'll
distribute to everyone. You could upload this (and the monthly data
file) to your website (or one of the free websites) where users can
download as required.

There are several encryption methods you could use, but I suggest going
with a methodology that implements a private key for simplicity because
you won't have to distribute a public key to anyone.

This is easily doable but it would help if you provide more info about
the task and how it should work. Also, do you want to add your own menu
to the Excel Menubar, or use a custom toolbar? (These will appear on
the 'Addins' tab in versions = XL2007).