Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extracting a Part of a Formula as Text

Hello, I have what I think may be an easy question. I am trying to extract part of the formula into a new cell.

In Cell A1 in Sheet2, the formula is =Sheet1!B2. In Cell A2,Sheet2, I need a formula that will return the last 2 characters in the formula "B2".

Is this possible without VBA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=RIGHT(A1,2) entered in Sheet2 A2

Or if you want, dispense with A1 formula and enter just

=RIGHT(Sheet1!B2,2)

Gord

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:23:39 -0700 (PDT), cardan
wrote:

Hello, I have what I think may be an easy question. I am trying to extract part of the formula into a new cell.

In Cell A1 in Sheet2, the formula is =Sheet1!B2. In Cell A2,Sheet2, I need a formula that will return the last 2 characters in the formula "B2".

Is this possible without VBA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

Hello, I have what I think may be an easy question. I am trying to extract part of the formula into a new cell.

In Cell A1 in Sheet2, the formula is =Sheet1!B2. In Cell A2,Sheet2, I need a formula that will return the last 2 characters in the formula "B2".

Is this possible without VBA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Hi Gord, Thank you for the reply. Your formula returns the value in the cell. I am looking for it to return the last 2 characters in the formula. RIGHT, LEFT, MID, FIND, deal with texts within the cell value(output). I need it to look at the "text" of the formula.

wrote:

Hello, I have what I think may be an easy question. I am trying to extract part of the formula into a new cell.

In Cell A1 in Sheet2, the formula is =Sheet1!B2. In Cell A2,Sheet2, I need a formula that will return the last 2 characters in the formula "B2".

Is this possible without VBA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Am Wed, 6 Jun 2012 13:33:18 -0700 (PDT) schrieb cardan:

Your formula returns the value in the cell. I am looking for it to return the last 2 characters in the formula. RIGHT, LEFT, MID, FIND, deal with texts within the cell value(output). I need it to look at the "text" of the formula.

you have to do it with VBA:
With Sheets("sheet2")
.Range("A2") = Right(.Range("A1").Formula, 2)
End With

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You're right.........I missed your request.

See Claus's reply.

Gord

wrote:

Hello, I have what I think may be an easy question. I am trying to extract part of the formula into a new cell.

In Cell A1 in Sheet2, the formula is =Sheet1!B2. In Cell A2,Sheet2, I need a formula that will return the last 2 characters in the formula "B2".

Is this possible without VBA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way to do without VBA is to first do an edit, replace, and replace
all equal signs in your range with "zz=". This makes the formulas
text, then you can use the Right() function to return characters.
=Right(a1,2). Then copy, paste special the Right() formulas to make
them values. Lastly, Change all "zz=" back to just "=". The search
and replace needs to look at formulas vs values.

VBA is easier :))

Robert Flanagan
Add-ins.com LLC
http://www.add-ins.com

wrote:

Hello, I have what I think may be an easy question. I am trying to extract part of the formula into a new cell.

In Cell A1 in Sheet2, the formula is =Sheet1!B2. In Cell A2,Sheet2, I need a formula that will return the last 2 characters in the formula "B2".

Is this possible without VBA? *Any help would be greatly appreciated. *Thank You.- Hide quoted text -