Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default DSUM not unique records

I am using an advanced filter to copy a list and then using the DSUM
function to sum all the appropriate fields I would like. However, I
believe there is a problem with the DSUM function as I am using it.
The data looks similar to the sample data below. The probelm occurs
when there are two fields similar to each other, such as "ABC123" and
"ABC123D" which appear separate on the list using advanced filter, but
the after checking the data, the amounts for "ABC123D" are included in
"ABC123". If there is a way for the DSUM function, or another function
to read exact variables, and not so inclusive, that is what I am
looking for. There are more than one occurrence of this problem, so I
cannot list it out individually (i.e, "ABC123" & "ABC123D" also
"DEF123" & "DEF123S") since there are over a dozen cases in my file.
If there is a better way to do this without using a pivot table,
please let me know, any help is greatly appreciated.

Rep Sales Comm
ABC123 500 100
DEF123 400 50
HIJABC 480 80
ABC123D 100 20
DEF123S 200 50
GEF456 800 120
ABC123 300 75
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are two changes you have to make to get DSUM to work. First, change
your criteria from the literal "ABC123" to a formula like =A2="ABC123" where
A2 is the first data cell in the Rep column of your database. Second, clear
the "Rep" header in the first cell of your criteria range. This cell should
be empty (but included in the Criteria range).

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

[...]

ABC123 * * * * * *300 75- Hide quoted text -

That did not seem to solve the problem. The array is in cells A1:C8,
and B13= "Sales" and C13 = "Comm". My criteria range is in cells
A10:A11, (A10 = "Rep", and A11 is blank). The Rep names are listed in
cells A15 to A20. In cell B14the formula is
=DSUM(A1:C8,"Sales",A10:A11) which gives the total, then I highlight
A14:C20 and create a table with the column criteria as A11. This
gives a summary table, but will double count entries, such as ABC123
has sales amount that corresponds to ABC123 and also ABC123D (sales
should equal 800 and not 900, as it currently shows). Thanks for the
help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 1, 9:42*am, wrote:
[...]

I wonder if this might?? be simplified by simply using a filter and
then using the SUBTOTAL(109 function instead??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

[...]

Could you just use =SUMPRODUCT(((

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see now that you're doing a What-if table along with DSUMs. The technique
I suggested will not work in conjunction with a What-if, just standalone.
Might I suggest doing away with the What-if and just use SUMPRODUCT? This
formula in cell B15 in your example, copied down and across to C20 works for
me:

=SUMPRODUCT(B$2:B$8,($A$2:$A$8=$A15)*1)