Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default formatting of txt file

Hi,

Can anybody can help me in in formatting the below data for me
The below data is coming in a txt file and i need the data in a excel file

However when i put in excel i am not getting any structured form
I need the Reference mentioned against the numeric value in the separate
column as heading and the data below should come below the heading. I have
tried, but i have to a lot of manual edit after formatting.

1.Emplyoee name
bsdcbasdb hbvabfvas
2.Date
12-12-09
3.Address Dettails
12/2 main street
City - bvauisdbc

Pin code- 1100154
4. Department
snbvsivnsvn
oihbvisudfnv
5. Monthly income
121646.00

structured format
Emplyoee name Date Address Dettails Department
Monthly income
bsdcbasdb hbvabfv 12-12-09 12/2 main street snbvsivnsvn
121646.00
City - bvauisdbc
oihbvisudfnv
Pin code- 1100154
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS GS is offline

Radhakant Panigrahi wrote on 5/10/2010 :
[...]

How is the data put into the text file? Is it delimited? -If so you can
use the Import From File wizard and specify how to parse the data into
columns.

Since you've posted here, I assume you want to do this using VBA in
which case we need to know how the data is set up in the text file. Can
you post a sample of the first 2 lines of the file?

Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This can be done, usually relatively easily, with VBA (a macro). But I would
need a sample of the actual text file to work from.

I realize that personal information would be in the file, if you can accept
that I would treat it as sensitive and confidential information, then send me
a copy of a text file (or even 2 of them) to (remove spaces)
Help From @ JLathamSite .com
and I'll create the code needed to import the data into an Excel workbook.

Remind me of this discussion, either by link or by your name as posted here.

"Radhakant Panigrahi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm assuming the data is somewhat similar to what he showed in the original
posting, but since there are some obvious typos and perhaps an added blank
line, I asked for the source .txt files. Besides, it would be good to see it
all just in case records with missing information are handled/provided in
some unique layout.

I think you'd be safer asking for 2 or 3 employee records rather than just
the 1st 2 lines - just in case it does come across much as provided in the OP.

"GS" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS GS is offline

JLatham used his keyboard to write :
I'm assuming the data is somewhat similar to what he showed in the original
posting, but since there are some obvious typos and perhaps an added blank
line, I asked for the source .txt files. Besides, it would be good to see it
all just in case records with missing information are handled/provided in
some unique layout.

I think you'd be safer asking for 2 or 3 employee records rather than just
the 1st 2 lines - just in case it does come across much as provided in the
OP.

Good point. The OP should use fake names, though, as I don't expect too
many enterprises allow divulging proprietary data much these days.
(Email is not a secure transfer; they don't know us; etc.)

I've seen this before and so only require a sample of the "expected"
data format since any unexpected or corrupt data is usually to be
disgarded. There's numerous ways to validate contents in a text file
line by line, especially if it's a delimited file with the predefined
fieldnames in the first line. If missing, it can be appended easily if
need be but this isn't really necessary as long as we know what they
should be. What I'm looking for is to determine whether to use string
parsing techniques with or without ADO.

Garry