Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File formatting!

Hello all!

I was trying save a particular sheet in an Excel workbook into a text
format. However the user should be able to name his own text file and
the Excel macro should save that in a particular folder. I used the
following commands for the task.

filesaveName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename( _
fileFilter:="Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
If filesaveName < False Then
MsgBox "Save as " & filesaveName
End If

Sheet1.SaveAs FileName:=filesaveName, where here active sheet is
sheet1.

It is saving the file with the user defined name, but still in an excel
format and am not able to open the same using notepad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
Thanks.

Arun. Iyer
Vextec Corp.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are almost there... you are only missing the fileformat property (
file extension does not a file type make.)

Sheet1.SaveAs FileName:=filesaveName, FileFormat:=xlTextWindow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you tried this? I just watched what happened in the macro recorder to
get the xlText flag.

Sheet1.SaveAs FileName:=filesaveName, FileFormat:=xlText

It looks like there are a lot of alerts you'll have to deal with. If you
know what is happening, try application.displayalerts = false before, and =
true after.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com