Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change Ribbon in Excel 2007

I'm trying to learn how to change the Excel 2007 ribbon. I have followed Ron
de Bruin's examples and others without success.

COMPUTER SPECIFICS:-

1. I'm running XP Professional version 5.1.2600 SP 3.

2. Installed are Microsoft .Net framework 1.1, 2.0 (SP2), 3.0 (SP2), 3.5
(SP1).

3. I have run the Windows Update Custom option to check for updates. None is
listed for .Net framework.

4. I'm using the Excel 2007 trial version.

5. I have downloaded and am using the Custom UI Editor.

6. Being connected to the internet when following the below steps doesn't
help.

EXAMPLE of FAILED EFFORT:-

1. I followed Ron de Bruin's intructions as per
"http://www.rondebruin.nl//ribbon.htm"

2. I create a new xl2007 format workbook and open it.

3. I create a standard code module in the workbook.

4. I paste callback code to the module (or do it later after steps 5 to 10).

5. I save the workbook as a macro-enabled workbook *.xlsm.

6. I close the workbook.

7. I then open the workbook using the Custom UI Editor.

8. I paste the same XML code copied from one of Ron's example workbooks or
use the Custom UI example code.

9. I save the XML by clicking the Save button in the UI Editor.

10. I open the *.xlsm workbook.

11. Nothing happens. This is true even if all callback code has been added.

OBSERVATIONS:-

In contrast, all of Ron's example workbooks work on my machine. The problem
appears to be with this line of code:

xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui"

If I use the Custom UI's validate feature, it responds with an error message
to the effect that the above is an unknown namespace and that it should be
".../2009/07/..." instead. If I change the above line to reference 2009/07
the validation feature accepts it. However, when I open the file, still
nothing happens.

Clueless and much appreciative of advice.

Greg Wilson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I just figured it out. The CustomUI Editor tool that I currently
have is the 2010 version. All help I could find googling related to the
2007 version. The new version has, in the Insert menu, two options: 1)
"Office 2010 Custom UI part" and 2) "Office 2007 Custom UI Part".

Presumably, the UI Editor I have likely defaults to the 2010 version.
Since I have the 2007 trial version, I had to select the second option.
After doing that, I got it to work.

The possibility that I had the 2010 version and needed 2007 was
something that I thought of. For some reason I thought I had checked out
all the menu items. I've done a few repeat downloads and re-installs and
might have had the older version in the beginning (which wouldn't
support these options) and was doing something else wrong then.

Cheers all.

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Greg

I suggest you also give Andy Pope's tool a try:
http://www.andypope.info/vba/ribboneditor.htm

Best wishes Harald
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Correct see also