Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can I stop my workbook being attached to an email?

I am trying to prevent a confidential workbook being attached to an email
using the "Send" option. Ideally I would like a solution for both Excel 2007
and older versions as the document will be accessed by multiple users. It is
not necessary for the commandbars to be available to users so I have tried
deleting Commandbars (1).Controls("File") but with no success. I have also
tried to prevent Excel executing the "ActivateMicrosoftApp xlMicrosoftMail"
application.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are probably fighting a losing battle by trying to secure an Excel
workbook. Most of the methods that will allow some security are easily
circumvented by a knowledgeable programmer. If you disable the attach file
to Outlook, then you screw up the users mail system and they might not know
how to fix it. It is probably better to just use the limited sucrity of
protecting the workbook and code and hope that others are not smart enough
to know how to get around that.

"Enthusiastic amateur FH" <Enthusiastic amateur
wrote in message
I am trying to prevent a confidential workbook being attached to an email
using the "Send" option. Ideally I would like a solution for both Excel
2007
and older versions as the document will be accessed by multiple users. It
is
not necessary for the commandbars to be available to users so I have tried
deleting Commandbars (1).Controls("File") but with no success. I have
also
tried to prevent Excel executing the "ActivateMicrosoftApp
xlMicrosoftMail"
application.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It seems that you would also have to block the user's ability to save as,
otherwise they might just save a local copy, and attach it from within their
email program (completely skipping the part you are trying to block).

Rather than deleting specific commands off the toolbars/ribbons, I kind of
suspect you might have an easier time just intercepting the event triggered
by that button, use it to pop up a message to your users saying "bad end
user!" and kill the event. Do the same with the 'save as' event.

You'll have to determine just how secure the workbook needs to be, vs. how
much time you are willing to spend making it secure, vs. the technical skill
set of your user group. I secure things just to prevent novice users from
accidently screwing things up, but I'd never assume I could keep the contents
of an Excel workbook truly secure if I had even semi-technical users who were
motivated to access or copy the data.

Good luck,
Keith