Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HELP- Need TSV extension for Excel

Look for "text (tab delimited)(*.txt)" in the "save as type" dropdown.

You'll have to change the extension from .txt to .tsv if that's what you need.

Kiki418 wrote:

I have a new program that requires I create, save, and open files saved in a
TSV file - which I am understanding is a "tab separated" file? Since they
are talking about the file being set up like an Excel file, when it comes to
saving it in my Excel 2003 program, it is not listed as an opiton. Can
anyone help me?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In 2003, Excel doesn't save as ".txt" file. In fact, in my documents, the
files are not marked with anything as an end extension - only in the File
Type column it says "text" file.

So as an experiment, I first opened an Excel file and then saved it as a
text (tab delimited) file, but then from My Documents, I had to rename it so
it would end with a ".TSV" extension. I then attempted to open it with Excel
and it said I needed to convert it and specify the columns or something like
that. But it did open.

So when I make out my list of items in Excel, I can save it as a .TSV by way
of renaming it in the My documents folder. What about the person I send it
to - is there some other program that requires this? Isn't there an update
for Excel or Office 2003 that has this .TSV option included in the offerings
of how to save it?

Kiki

Kiki418 wrote:

I have a new program that requires I create, save, and open files saved in a
TSV file - which I am understanding is a "tab separated" file? Since they
are talking about the file being set up like an Excel file, when it comes to
saving it in my Excel 2003 program, it is not listed as an opiton. Can
anyone help me?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I also noted that if I try to open the newly saved .TSV document from the My
documents folder, it opens in Notepad and not in Excel. I have to open Excel
program first, then open from the "Open File" dropdown.

Kiki418 wrote:

I have a new program that requires I create, save, and open files saved in a
TSV file - which I am understanding is a "tab separated" file? Since they
are talking about the file being set up like an Excel file, when it comes to
saving it in my Excel 2003 program, it is not listed as an opiton. Can
anyone help me?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not aware of any update that does what you want.

And when I saved a workbook as that tab delimited text file, xl2003 saved it
with the .txt extension.

If the recipient is opening the file in excel, I don't understand the point of
avoiding saving as a normal .xls file.

Kiki418 wrote:

I have a new program that requires I create, save, and open files saved in a
TSV file - which I am understanding is a "tab separated" file? Since they
are talking about the file being set up like an Excel file, when it comes to
saving it in my Excel 2003 program, it is not listed as an opiton. Can
anyone help me?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Most likely you're not seeing the ".txt" because you have "hide extensions
for known file types" selected in Windows Explorer.
You should turn this off (at least, I find it a useless "feature"). Tools
Folder Options view

Tim