Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel File Extension

What is the difference between the excel file extensions; *.xls, *.xlm, etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

XLM is a vestigial remain from Excel 4 and before. Back then a workbook
could have only one worksheet, and if that sheet was a "macro sheet" then it
was given the XLM extension to distinguish it from a regular worksheet
(XLS). While current Excel versions support XLMs for backward compatibility
there is no reason to use that extension any more.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Randy,

XLS files are normal workbooks.
XLM files are old version 4 macro sheets.
XLA files are add-ins.
XLT files are template workbook files.
XLW files are workspace files.
XLB files are toolbar customization files.
XLK files are back up files.

These are the only Excel related file extensions I am aware of.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Randy" wrote in message
What is the difference between the excel file extensions;

*.xls, *.xlm, etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good list, Chip, better than I could do. One other old one was XLC - chart
files.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP