Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I import a .STE extension (compressed XML) file to Excel?

Suunto Training Manager has a facility to export the proprietary files as
compressed XML files. The exported files get the extension *.STE. I need
to import these compressed XML files into EXCEL. To date I have not found a
way to import the files with the extension .STE into EXCEL. I would
appreciate any help to do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I the files are proprietary then I doubt you'll find a direct method to
import the files. Can you save the files as XML, then read the files. Can
you cut and paste the data? Sometimes it help if you first cut and paste the
files into notebook to remove special characters. the Copy and Paste again
into EXCEL.

"mayosm" wrote:

Suunto Training Manager has a facility to export the proprietary files as
compressed XML files. The exported files get the extension *.STE. I need
to import these compressed XML files into EXCEL. To date I have not found a
way to import the files with the extension .STE into EXCEL. I would
appreciate any help to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I import a .STE extension (compressed XML) file to Exce

Your suggestion was not directly the answer to my problem... but resulted in
a solution nonetheless.... I tried selecting the data in the proprietary
software, but I could only look at one line at a time. I then tried to
import the Suunto Training Manager proprietary software file using the EXCEL
import facility. I was able to identify the data I was interested in...
there is a lot of data that is extraneous... I wish I knew what that was and
if it is important to my investigation.

My end goal:
I have GPS data from my Explorist XL and I am trying to concatinate that
data with data from my Suunto T6. I can get the Explorist data in EXCEL just
fine... my barrier was the Suunto data.

Now I need to play with the data and see if it tells me anything...