Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Determine Excel file version with no file extension.

Our company has a ton of files with no file extensions. These are files that
were created either with Excel 2003 or 2007. We need to programmatically
determine which version was used and give the file the appropriate file
extension.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I file must have an extension. You need to change the options on your windows
explorer to show extensions

Tools - OPtions - Folder Options - hide extensions for know file types

Unclick this option and press OK.

"tjlumpkin" wrote:

Our company has a ton of files with no file extensions. These are files that
were created either with Excel 2003 or 2007. We need to programmatically
determine which version was used and give the file the appropriate file
extension.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to follow up on Joel's posting...

I'm using Vista and for that Version of windows (and perhaps for XP as well,
I just don't remember), after you select Folder Options, you need to select
the View tab and then look in the Advanced Settings list for the "Hide
extensions for know file types" and uncheck it. If you don't see a menu bar
displayed (in order to be able to click the Tools item), click the Organize
button in the command bar, select Layout from the drop down menu list that
displays and select the Menu Bar item from its fly out menu.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)