Peter Rooney

Default Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc

Good morning all!

I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.

I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
test data files.

I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
created in the same folder.

Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
(with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
then into the new workbook.

The problem still occurred.

Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
problem.

Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?

Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
deleted, during the Save As process.

Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance

Pete Rooney

Peter Rooney

Oh, and by the way, frequently, the copy files created often throw up an
application error and crash Excel, whether opened from within Excel or
lanched from Explorer, leading me to think even more that they're corrupted.

How has this happened when I started a new workbook from scratch, though?

The problem doesn't happen when I File Save As any other workbooks.

Pete

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test. If that doesn't help, maybe it's a permission problem. (I'd double
check.)

--

Dave Peterson