Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Kiki418 Kiki418 is offline

Default HELP- Need TSV extension for Excel

I also noted that if I try to open the newly saved .TSV document from the My
documents folder, it opens in Notepad and not in Excel. I have to open Excel
program first, then open from the "Open File" dropdown.

"Kiki418" wrote:

In 2003, Excel doesn't save as ".txt" file. In fact, in my documents, the
files are not marked with anything as an end extension - only in the File
Type column it says "text" file.

So as an experiment, I first opened an Excel file and then saved it as a
text (tab delimited) file, but then from My Documents, I had to rename it so
it would end with a ".TSV" extension. I then attempted to open it with Excel
and it said I needed to convert it and specify the columns or something like
that. But it did open.

So when I make out my list of items in Excel, I can save it as a .TSV by way
of renaming it in the My documents folder. What about the person I send it
to - is there some other program that requires this? Isn't there an update
for Excel or Office 2003 that has this .TSV option included in the offerings
of how to save it?

Kiki

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Look for "text (tab delimited)(*.txt)" in the "save as type" dropdown.

You'll have to change the extension from .txt to .tsv if that's what you need.

Kiki418 wrote:

I have a new program that requires I create, save, and open files saved in a
TSV file - which I am understanding is a "tab separated" file? Since they
are talking about the file being set up like an Excel file, when it comes to
saving it in my Excel 2003 program, it is not listed as an opiton. Can
anyone help me?

--

Dave Peterson