Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Finding and Counting Values in a List

Hello...

I am hoping someone can assist me in finding a simple solution to my
issue.

I have a list with two columns, TEAM and FUNCTION. The FUNCTION
column has roughly 84 unique values, but are used more than once
because more than one TEAM can share, or use, that particular
function.

TEAM FUNCTION
No Team Specified 3rd Party-Help with
other Agencies
Business Analyst 3rd Party-Help with
other Agencies
Customer Relationship Management 3rd Party-Help with other Agencies
Education Partner Support Center 3rd Party-Help with other Agencies
Network Support 3rd Party-Help with
other Agencies

Now what I have done, is listed all 84 unique FUNCTIONS in Column A
starting at A2. I have also listed all TEAM's across Row 1, starting
at B1.

Business
Analyst | Network Support | Salesman
3rd Party-Help with other Agencies
X X
Function 2
Function 3
etc...

What I need to do is take the value in A2, find it in my master list,
and if the associated TEAM next to the value matches the TEAM name in
B1, then place an X in the corresponding cell. So in the example
above, I will look at '3rd Party-Help with other Agencies', locate it
in the master list above, and place an 'X' in the cell under the
corresponding TEAM name, and across from the corresponding value.

I hope this makes sense to someone. I can create the realtionships in
Access, but I cannot display it the way I need. Hopefully this is a
relatively simple solution, vlookup or something, that I am just
missing. Thanks to everyone in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

stacy wrote:
[...]

Using your five sample rows in A1:B6 thus (I made up some new "function"
descriptions):

TEAM FUNCTION
No Team Specified FN1
Business Analyst FN1
Customer Relationship Management FN2
Education Partner Support Center FN3
Network Support FN1

In A10:A13 place the distinct functions:
FN1
FN2
FN3

In B9:F9 place the distinct teams:
No Team Specified
Business Analyst
Customer Relationship Management
Education Partner Support Center
Network Support

Now in B10:
=IF(0=SUMPRODUCT(($A10=$B$2:$B$6)*(B$9=$A$2:$A$6)) ,"","X")

This formula can be filled right and down. You will need to adjust the
ranges to suit your actual data.