Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting Values in a list

Hi
I have a list of 7766 text strings in an excel sheet. I would like to
count the frequency of each string and create a new table.

For example, had....

Cat
Dog
Hamster
Dog
Horse
Cat
Hamster
Hamster

....in my list, I'd like to produce a table

Cat 2
Dog 2
Hamster 3
Horse 1

The problem is my list has almost 8000 entries and about 4000
varieties of animal. The strings also aren't words (animals). I have
managed to filter the list to remove duplicates and placed them in a
new column. I then used COUNTIF to count how many time each value in
that column appears in the original column, however, some cells are
giving a #VALUE error and some are fine. I have no idea why.
Could I do this by Pivot table?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, a PivotTable would be the way to go. Assuming the different types are in
a column labeled "Names" you could put Names into the Row area and also into
the Data area, and do a count.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M