Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Clearing contents from a range

Try this macro (change the worksheet reference and starting row Const as
required)....

Sub ClearExcessData()
Dim X As Long
Dim LastRow As Long
Const StartRow As Long = 2
With Worksheets("Sheet3")
For X = StartRow To LastRow
If .Cells(X, "A").Offset(1).Value < "" Then
.Cells(X, "D").Resize(1, .Columns.Count - 4).Clear
End If
Next
End With

Rick (MVP - Excel)

"G. Yamada" wrote in message
Hello,

I am completely new to Excel VBA and I have a task that can only be done
using it. I need to format a group of orders to upload them. Essentially
start with:

78693624286 1 9.71 2793888 ....
02761688770 1 2.99 2793888

02454352960 1 8.45 2792280
02454352959 1 8.45 2792280

78693675842 1 8.65 2791190
02454305295 1 21.86 2791190
78693614475 1 7.25 2791190
04339614171 1 9.77 2791190

08536513892 1 3.99 2791055
..

What I want to end up with is:

78678693286 1 9.71
02761688770 1 2.99 2793888

02454352960 1 8.45
02454352959 1 8.45 2792280

78693675842 1 8.65
02454305295 1 21.86
78693614475 1 7.25
04339614171 1 9.77 2791190

08536513892 1 3.99 2791055

The orders are separated by an empty row (which is already done for me)
according to the order numbers in the D column (numbers starting with
279...). Each order may have 1 or more items designated by the item
number
in the first column. As you can see, the first three orders (groups) have
more than one item in the order. These are what have been causing an
issue
for me. I need to clear the information from the D column onwards
(including
D) on the item lines (rows) which are part of the same order EXCEPT for
the
last line in the order as shown above. I would sincerely appreciate any
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this...

Sub ClearStuff()
Dim rngAll As Range
Dim rngArea As Range

On Error Resume Next
Set rngAll = Range("D:D").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
If Not rngAll Is Nothing Then
For Each rngArea In rngAll.Areas
If rngArea.Cells.Count 1 Then
Range(rngArea.Cells(1), _
rngArea.Cells(rngArea.Count - 1).Offset(0, 1)).ClearContents
End If
Next rngArea
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"G. Yamada" wrote:

Hello,

I am completely new to Excel VBA and I have a task that can only be done
using it. I need to format a group of orders to upload them. Essentially I
start with:

78693624286 1 9.71 2793888 ....
02761688770 1 2.99 2793888

02454352960 1 8.45 2792280
02454352959 1 8.45 2792280

78693675842 1 8.65 2791190
02454305295 1 21.86 2791190
78693614475 1 7.25 2791190
04339614171 1 9.77 2791190

08536513892 1 3.99 2791055
..

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,

Thank you for you reply. This almost does the trick for me. I need to have
all the columns in the row (to be cleared) at least up to column Q to be
cleared. So far, the program you provided only clears columns D and E. If
you could revise the program to reflect this change, I would sincerly
appreciate it. Thank you so much for providing this. I have put many hours
into it already and should have turned to the forum much earlier.

P.S. Is there a fast and efficient way to learn VBA for Excel?

"G. Yamada" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Just change Jim's offset from 1 to 13

rngArea.Cells(rngArea.Count - 1).Offset(0, 13)).ClearContents
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"G. Yamada" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not that I am knocking Jim's code because (with the change Roger suggested)
it should work fine; but I was wondering, did you even try my posted code?
Just so you know, it works too.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"G. Yamada" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I kinda liked your code... At first blush I thought it was going to take more
code than that to set start and end rows as you did so I used the areas. I
thought I was being kinda slick and avoiding a lot of headaches. You proved
me wrong.

To G. Yamada - Is there a quick way to learn VBA... In short no. VBA is a
language like any other language. The only way to be good at it is to devote
time and effort towards it. Excel VBA for dummies is a great place to start.
Check out this link...

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/books/
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"G. Yamada" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See inline comments..

I kinda liked your code...

Thanks!

At first blush I thought it was going to take more code than that to set
start and end rows as you did so I used the areas. I thought I was being
kinda slick and avoiding a lot of headaches. You proved me wrong.

That's what I have always liked about programming in general (and this
includes Excel formula development as well)... there are usually more than
one way to code a solution and each tends to be interesting in their own
right. Sometimes an idea you see someone use in one of them may becomes a
central method you choose for a similar, but different problem later on.

To G. Yamada - Is there a quick way to learn VBA... In short no. VBA is a
language like any other language. The only way to be good at it is to
devote
time and effort towards it. Excel VBA for dummies is a great place to
start.
Check out this link...

I have found the "For Dummies" series of books to be a great introduction to
the topics they cover so, yes G. Yamada, that would be a great place to
start. You might also find the brief tutorial at this link to be helpful as
well.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,

I have found the "For Dummies" series of books to be a great introduction to
the topics they cover so, yes G. Yamada, that would be a great place to
start. You might also find the brief tutorial at this link to be helpful as
well.

My browser didn't show a link. Could you please repost it?

Thanks,

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually, it apparently never got pasted into my original message. Here it
is...

http://www.anthony-vba.kefra.com/

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"dan dungan" wrote in message
Hi Rick,

I have found the "For Dummies" series of books to be a great introduction
the topics they cover so, yes G. Yamada, that would be a great place to
start. You might also find the brief tutorial at this link to be helpful
as
well.

My browser didn't show a link. Could you please repost it?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Rick.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,

I did try your code, but it appeared that it kept stopping where the
worksheet name was indicated. I changed this according to what worksheet I
was in, but it continued to produce an error. Thank you for the help
nonetheless.

"G. Yamada" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

Thanks again for your help. The code works fine now with the minor
adjustment Roger suggested.

"G. Yamada" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is strange. I tested the code before I posted it and it worked fine for
me. Based on Jim's response to one of my other posts in this thread, I
gather my code worked fine for him also. Out of curiosity, what error
message did you get when you ran my code (after changing the worksheet name
to one of your own worksheet names)?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)