Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro to show which cells have validation

Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi, !

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells that have validation, and shade them purple?
I am modifying an olderworkbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just validation, so I am trying to track them down.
I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier...

(i.e.)

Sub Paint_DV()
Dim wS As Worksheet
For Each wS In Worksheets
On Error Resume Next
wS.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation).Int erior.ColorIndex = 18
Next
End Sub

hth,
hector.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should be able to do it with this single line of code (just change my
example worksheet reference of Sheet3 to your own worksheet's name)...

Worksheets("Sheet3").UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCell TypeAllValidation). _
SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Interior.ColorIndex = 18

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Lostguy" wrote in message
Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One line should do the trick. Try this...

Sub ColorValidationCells()
Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation).Interi or.ColorIndex =
39
End Sub

BTW, you actually don't need code to do this. It's in the native
commands of Excel.

Edit Go To Special Data Validation OK. That selects the cells,
then just paint em any color.

-Melina

On Sep 8, 9:29*pm, Lostguy wrote:
Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

By way of clarification... I just looked at Melina's posting which does what
your opening sentence says and locates *all* cells with validation (whether
they have anything in them or not) and colors them purple. I picked up on
what you said later on when you mentioned "stray cells" that have nothing in
them except validation... that is what my code locates (it preserves any
cells with something in that along with their validation). Of course, if all
the cells are empty, my code and Melina's code will locate the same set of
cells. So, which you should use kind of depends on what you actually meant.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Lostguy" wrote in message
Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

also, is some validation cells are empty, Melina's suggestion could add a second procedure
(but this time) choosing "empty cells" prior to apply any color

of course, this shall be done one by one, or...
combine the proposals with code and a looping (as per the last paragraph in OP)
(the on error resume next line is... "just in case" no validation cells are in a worksheet) ;)

regards,
hector.

"Lostguy" wrote in message ...
Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oops. I didn't catch the part about validated cells being blank. I
thought that was too easy. <g

But on this topic, Rick, what if the OP had blank validated cells
outside the UsedRange, which is in an area xlCellTypeBlanks doesn't
seem to evaluate but xlCellTypeValidation does. Without both working
outside the UsedRange, it's no good to catch those cells. The user
could do a xlCellTypeValidation selection and then loop through the
selection finding blank cells. That makes for a smaller loop, but is
there a loopless way? Is there a way to force xlCellTypeBlanks to
evaluate all selected cells, not just the UsedRange?

You know... in case I'm asked this on a game show. <lol

-Melina

"Lostguy" wrote in message

Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good catch! I completely forgot that Validations can lie outside of the
UsedRange. Okay, to solve this problem, I created an UnusedRange function to
get around fact that SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks) won't look outside of
the UsedRange. Below is my coded solution. The OP should copy all of this
into a Module (Insert/Module from the VB editor's menu bar) and run the
DeleteUnusedValidations macro.

Sub DeleteUnusedValidations()
On Error Resume Next
Worksheets("Sheet3").UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCell TypeAllValidation). _
SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Interior.ColorIndex = 18
UnusedRange("Sheet3").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllVa lidation). _
Interior.ColorIndex = 18
End Sub

Function UnusedRange(WorksheetName As String) As Range
Dim UR As Range
Dim WS As Worksheet
Set WS = Worksheets(WorksheetName)
Set UR = WS.UsedRange
With UR
With .Offset(.Rows.Count, .Columns.Count)
Set UnusedRange = .Resize(1, WS.Columns.Count - _
.Column + 1).EntireColumn
Set UnusedRange = Union(UnusedRange, .Resize(WS.Rows.Count - _
.Row + 1, 1).EntireRow)
End With
If UR.Row 1 Then
Set UnusedRange = Union(UnusedRange, WS.Range("A1", _
WS.Range(Split(.Offset(-1).Address, _
":")(0))).EntireRow)
End If
If UR.Column 1 Then
Set UnusedRange = Union(UnusedRange, WS.Range("A1", _
WS.Range(Split(.Offset(, -1).Address, _
":")(0))).EntireColumn)
End If
End With
End Function

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Lostguy" wrote in message

Hello!

Anyone know a code to go through the active sheet, look for any cells
that have validation, and shade them purple? I am modifying an older
workbook, and there are stray cells with no data or formula, just
validation, so I am trying to track them down.

I guess a "For each ws in Workbook" code would be easier.

Thanks for any help!

VR/

Lost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In case you missed my correction in my response to Mel (Melina)...
Copy/Paste the following into a Module (Insert/Module from the VB editor's
menu bar) and then run the ColorUnusedValidations macro part of it...

Sub ColorUnusedValidations()
On Error Resume Next