Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JAC JAC is offline

Default Advice Sought

Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/CreatingCOMAddIn.aspx and
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/COMAddIn2007.aspx and
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/AutomationAddIns.aspx

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"JAC" wrote in message
Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think that can be quite easy with a plain VB6 ActiveX dll. It will all
depend on what
kind of code you want to move over. I make extensive use of these dll's and
I think it
works very well.

RBS

"JAC" wrote in message
Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JAC JAC is offline

"JAC" wrote in message

Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Thank you very much for your help and advice. This is greatly
appreciated.