-   -   Advice Sought (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/416379-advice-sought.html)

JAC

Advice Sought

Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Chip Pearson

Advice Sought

See

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/CreatingCOMAddIn.aspx and
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/COMAddIn2007.aspx and
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/AutomationAddIns.aspx

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"JAC" wrote in message
Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

RB Smissaert

Advice Sought

I think that can be quite easy with a plain VB6 ActiveX dll. It will all
depend on what
kind of code you want to move over. I make extensive use of these dll's and
I think it
works very well.

RBS

"JAC" wrote in message
Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

JAC

Advice Sought

"JAC" wrote in message

Extending Excel 2003 with VBA, I should like to separate most of the
code from the workbook (~90%+) and put it into a DLL (rather than an
Excel add-in .xla), which will act as a black box. I think this is
called a COM Add-in.

I do not necessarily require worksheet functions from the DLL, but
rather to place VBA code modules and classes there and call the code
from what is really a simple library.

This is a rather naive view.

Has anyone experience of this? Do I really require the
IDTExtensibility2 interface?

Any general advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.

Thank you very much for your help and advice. This is greatly
appreciated.