Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Deploying custom toolbar and custom icons

I'm working on a custom toolbar for a workbook I'm building (plenty of
buttons, including custom icons). We've decided to stick the workbook on the
network and have other folks access it as well. What is the preferred method
for ensuring the toolbar is available for all users when they open the
workbook?

It's been years since I had to deploy a custom toolbar, and that was in
Word97 via a template- whereas this is in Excel2003, and it is an active
workbook (not a template). I googled and found a lot about building a custom
toolbar via code, but there were references to issues with custom icons, and
I'm hoping there is a way to just keep the toolbar connected to the workbook
without having to generate it via code for each user.

Thanks for any advice,
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Dave- it looks like an add-in will be the best way to deploy my
toolbar. I'll use code to install and load (and unload) the add-in from my
actual workbook.

The one piece I'm still struggling with is whether there is any way to keep
the custom button icons that I've already developed. I edited my icons
within the Excel icon editor, so I don't have them saved anywhere as a
separate file. Is my only option to recreate each 16x16 (bitmap) icon in an
image editing program, or is there any way to grab a button image (perhaps
by VBA) and save that image to the worksheet so I can copy it into my new
add-in?

Thanks for any advice,
Keith

ker_01 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's one that uses pictures on a worksheet -- nicely named!

Option Explicit
Public Const ToolBarName As String = "MyToolbarName"
Sub Auto_Open()
Call CreateMenubar
End Sub
Sub Auto_Close()
Call RemoveMenubar
End Sub
Sub RemoveMenubar()
On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars(ToolBarName).Delete
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub
Sub CreateMenubar()

Dim iCtr As Long

Dim MacNames As Variant
Dim CapNames As Variant
Dim TipText As Variant
Dim PictNames As Variant
Dim PictWks As Worksheet

Call RemoveMenubar

MacNames = Array("aaa", _
"bbb")

CapNames = Array("AAA Caption", _
"BBB Caption")

TipText = Array("AAA tip", _
"BBB tip")

PictNames = Array("Pic1", "Pic2")

Set PictWks = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Pictures")

With Application.CommandBars.Add
.Name = ToolBarName
.Left = 200
.Top = 200
.Protection = msoBarNoProtection
.Visible = True
.Position = msoBarFloating

For iCtr = LBound(MacNames) To UBound(MacNames)
PictWks.Pictures(PictNames(iCtr)).Copy
With .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
.OnAction = "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!" & MacNames(iCtr)
.Caption = CapNames(iCtr)
.Style = msoButtonIconAndCaption
.PasteFace
.TooltipText = tip_text(iCtr)
End With
Next iCtr

End With
End Sub
Sub AAA()
MsgBox "aaa"
End Sub
Sub BBB()
MsgBox "bbb"
End Sub

The AAA and BBB subs are just stubs. You can put your macro code that does the
real work there--or call your macros from them.

ker_01 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks again Dave! I've adapted this code, and pasted my icons on a hidden
sheet. Everything is working (almost) perfectly; the only downside is that
the pasted icons don't seem to have a transparent background anymore, and
the background gray used is a little different from the toolbar color. This
is an internal project so I'm not worried, and if it bugs me too much I'll
just figure out which color matches the toolbar grey and go backfill the
icons manually.