Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default opening an excel file from a website using vba

Is there a way to open and activate an excel spreadsheet from an online
source using vba? I am attempting to write a function in one spreadsheet that
calls upon and performs a function on another sheet; unfortunately this is a
spreadsheet from an online site that changes daily.

I know how to open and activate a sheet that is within my own folder, but
this is obviously more complex.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

More detail and url(s) along with examples. You can probably use an external
query to make it all automatic with one mouse click.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Jayne22" wrote in message
Is there a way to open and activate an excel spreadsheet from an online
source using vba? I am attempting to write a function in one spreadsheet
that
calls upon and performs a function on another sheet; unfortunately this is
spreadsheet from an online site that changes daily.

I know how to open and activate a sheet that is within my own folder, but
this is obviously more complex.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The website is internal and requires a password, so I can't post that
address. But the spreadsheet shows vacation days for our team and i would
like to call that spreadsheet up, count the number of vacation days for a
particular person, and then post that on the original spreadsheet.

Is this possible?

"Jayne22" wrote in message
Is there a way to open and activate an excel spreadsheet from an online
source using vba? I am attempting to write a function in one spreadsheet
that
calls upon and performs a function on another sheet; unfortunately this is
spreadsheet from an online site that changes daily.

I know how to open and activate a sheet that is within my own folder, but
this is obviously more complex.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

do
File=Open
then select the file by nagivating to it like you would any other file. The
challenge will be finding the path to the file. Coordinate that with your IT
department if you don't know how to get to it. (if you can't do that, VBA
won't be able to do it either I would suspect).

Then if you need code, turn on the macro recorder while you do it manually.

Tom Ogilvy

"Jayne22" wrote in message
Is there a way to open and activate an excel spreadsheet from an online
source using vba? I am attempting to write a function in one spreadsheet
that
calls upon and performs a function on another sheet; unfortunately this is
spreadsheet from an online site that changes daily.

I know how to open and activate a sheet that is within my own folder, but
this is obviously more complex.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perfect! Thanks for the help.

One more question: After I count up the cells in the spreadsheet I just
opened, what code do I use to put that value into the initial spreadsheet
rather than the one I opened?

Can I just reactive the initial spreadsheet?