Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007/Excel 2003 compatibility

I recompiled in Vista with VB 6 and Excel 2007.

Since early binding is used, I was surprised that the even
worked in Windows 2000 with Excel 2003

Is this documented, or was I just lucky?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The OS probably doesn't matter.

It seems that Office files can find the right version of their own
libraries. I'm less certain about other libraries (i.e., can Excel find the
right Word library). I know that Excel cannot find the correct library for
SOLVER going backwards.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
I recompiled in Vista with VB 6 and Excel 2007.

Since early binding is used, I was surprised that the even
worked in Windows 2000 with Excel 2003

Is this documented, or was I just lucky?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
The OS probably doesn't matter.

Right

It seems that Office files can find the right version of their own
libraries.

Not Office 97.

I'm less certain about other libraries (i.e., can Excel find the
right Word library). I know that Excel cannot find the correct library for
SOLVER going backwards.

In my case, I got lucky because all objects. methods, etc.used are the same
in both versions.
THis is not always the case, not to mention that semantics might change.

Due to the peformance improvement, i'm gonna have to have a version compiled
for Office 97.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard,

Due to the peformance improvement, i'm gonna have to have a version
compiled
for Office 97.

I have only managed to find one case where Compiled VB6 code runs faster
than VBA when interacting with Excel (VB6 allows you to bypass the VBE
refresh UDF bug).

Have you found another situation where VB6 is significantly faster?

Charles
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
I haven't used Office 97 in so-o-o long. Just out of interest, how much

need
is there for Office 97 compatibility in your situation?

I go out of my way to require at least Windows 2000. THis is due to certain
APIs, or API options, not working pre-Win 2000.

Depending on the app. I try to include Excel 97.

I'm doing the developing with Excel 2003,.
I'l lonly drop Excel 97 if I have to do tumblesaults to include support.
So far, no obstacles.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Charles Williams" wrote in message
I have only managed to find one case where Compiled VB6 code runs faster
than VBA when interacting with Excel (VB6 allows you to bypass the VBE
refresh UDF bug).

Have you found another situation where VB6 is significantly faster?

I use VB 6 for at least three reasons:

1. Most importantly, to protect the source code.
2. There's stuff in VB 6 not available in VBA.
3. Using VB 6 allows one to overcome some of VB 5 restrictions in Excel 97.