Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default CommandBars in 2007?

Our current Excel "app" has an extensive set of command that are
normally invoked via a custom CommandBar. However, these seem to be
deprecated under 2007, or at least changed dramatically. Either way,
they don't seem to be there "out of the box".

I'm sure other people are facing the same problem, what are some of
the solutions you've looked at? I've never been a fan of buttons in
the sheets themselves, they always seem to be in the wrong place.

Maury
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
see this site
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
look at..
change the ribbon
add buttons to QAT

Regards
FSt1

"Maury Markowitz" wrote:

Our current Excel "app" has an extensive set of command that are
normally invoked via a custom CommandBar. However, these seem to be
deprecated under 2007, or at least changed dramatically. Either way,
they don't seem to be there "out of the box".

I'm sure other people are facing the same problem, what are some of
the solutions you've looked at? I've never been a fan of buttons in
the sheets themselves, they always seem to be in the wrong place.

Maury

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

invoked via a custom CommandBar

Your commandbar customizations should appear on the Add-in tab. If that's
not good enough then you have to get into the new customization scheme known
as RibbonX. Ron's site as FSt1 mentioned has good information as does MS's
and quite a few others. There are even a book or two on the subject, which
is completely different than commandbars btw.

The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) was provided by MS for end users to put their
own custom/favorite items in easy reach. MS did not intend for developers
to use it themselves and made it almost impossible to do so. So the way to
proceed as a developer is to learn RibbonX.

--
Jim
"Maury Markowitz" wrote in message
| Our current Excel "app" has an extensive set of command that are
| normally invoked via a custom CommandBar. However, these seem to be
| deprecated under 2007, or at least changed dramatically. Either way,
| they don't seem to be there "out of the box".
|
| I'm sure other people are facing the same problem, what are some of
| the solutions you've looked at? I've never been a fan of buttons in
| the sheets themselves, they always seem to be in the wrong place.
|
| Maury

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jun 20, 8:05*am, "Jim Rech" wrote:
The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) was provided by MS for end users to put their
own custom/favorite items in easy reach. *MS did not intend for developers
to use it themselves and made it almost impossible to do so. *So the way to
proceed as a developer is to learn RibbonX.

But am I right to assume that RibbonX does not work under older
versions? Is there any cross-version system that works well?

Maury
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/compatiblemenu.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Maury Markowitz" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 8:05 am, "Jim Rech" wrote:
The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) was provided by MS for end users to put their
own custom/favorite items in easy reach. MS did not intend for developers
to use it themselves and made it almost impossible to do so. So the way to
proceed as a developer is to learn RibbonX.

But am I right to assume that RibbonX does not work under older
versions? Is there any cross-version system that works well?

Maury

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A cross-version approach consists of two files. First is a Classic Excel
(i.e., 2000 through 2003) add-in, which does all the work, and detects the
version of Excel. If the version of Excel is Classic, it builds the menus
and commandbars as before. If the version is Excel 12, it opens the second
file. The second file is an Excel 2007 add-in (not installed as an add-in by
the way) with the XML code for the RibbonX modifications as well as the code
that catches ribbon clicks and runs the appropriate command in the Classic
add-in.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP