Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Make an autocorrect entry italic

Hi there - please excuse my ignorance - I've never used VBA before so
I do need some help!
I would like to make the replacement text into autocorrect formatted
into italic text (as it will be latin text) - I have the following,

Sub CreateLatin()
ItemCount = Application.CountA(Range("Sheet1!A:A"))
For Row = 1 To ItemCount
ShortText = Cells(Row, 1)
LongText = Cells(Row, 2)
Application.AutoCorrect.AddReplacement ShortText, LongText
Next Row
End Sub

However, I would like to make the LongText italic- please help me if
you can, I'd be very grateful.
Regards.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"I would like to make the LongText italic"

I don't believe that is possible using AutoCorrect.
Text formatting in a worksheet cell depends on how the worksheet cell
is formatted, not on how the text is formatted when it is added to the cell.

Worksheets(1).Range("A1").Font.FontStyle = "Italic"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Beavy"

wrote in message
Hi there - please excuse my ignorance - I've never used VBA before so
I do need some help!
I would like to make the replacement text into autocorrect formatted
into italic text (as it will be latin text) - I have the following,
Sub CreateLatin()
ItemCount = Application.CountA(Range("Sheet1!A:A"))
For Row = 1 To ItemCount
ShortText = Cells(Row, 1)
LongText = Cells(Row, 2)
Application.AutoCorrect.AddReplacement ShortText, LongText
Next Row
End Sub
However, I would like to make the LongText italic- please help me if
you can, I'd be very grateful.
Regards.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Portland, Oregon *USAhttp://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware

wrote in message
Hi there - please excuse my ignorance - I've never used VBA before so
I do need some help!
I would like to make the replacement text into autocorrect formatted
into italic text (as it will be latin text) - I have the following,
* *Sub CreateLatin()
* * ItemCount = Application.CountA(Range("Sheet1!A:A"))
* * For Row = 1 To ItemCount
* * * *ShortText = Cells(Row, 1)
* * * *LongText = Cells(Row, 2)
* * * *Application.AutoCorrect.AddReplacement ShortText, LongText
* * * Next Row
* *End Sub
However, I would like to make the LongText italic- *please help me if
you can, I'd be very grateful.
Regards.

Hi Jim - sorry I seem to have omitted a rather important bit of info -
the autocorrect of the latin names will actually be used in Word - and
I had thought that the autocorrect text could be formatted? There is a
link where a company has done something similar -
http://www.biologicalrecordscentre.g...italicise.html but as
I said, my VBA is effectively NIL - the code above has been snaffled
from a website too! This is a request from one of our staff members
and am trying to see if it can be done as the admin teams have to type
up large field reports full of latin names, so they wish to use a
standardised 3-4 code e.g abk and when they press space , for
Ablepharus kitaibelli (in italics) to come out instead.
Regards,
Bev.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bev,
It sounds as if you are creating lists in Excel and transferring/pasting
the data into Word. Formatting done in Excel is preserved when moved
into Word.

Microsoft Word has the ability to format data using Auto Correct
In Excel you cannot format text using Auto Correct.
Also, the link you posted has code to be used in Word, not Excel.

In Excel, you would have to have the data entry people, highlight (select)
the latin text and click the Italic button on the Excel toolbar.

It would be possible in Excel, using VBA code, to change specified text
to Italic. This would have to done after the lists are complete.
The code would search against a supplied list of terms, find those in the Excel
list and change the font style.
Since you have not used VBA before, creating that code is probably
best left to a paid consultant.
--

wrote in message
Hi Jim - sorry I seem to have omitted a rather important bit of info -
the autocorrect of the latin names will actually be used in Word - and
I had thought that the autocorrect text could be formatted? There is a
link where a company has done something similar -
http://www.biologicalrecordscentre.g...italicise.html but as
I said, my VBA is effectively NIL - the code above has been snaffled
from a website too! This is a request from one of our staff members
and am trying to see if it can be done as the admin teams have to type
up large field reports full of latin names, so they wish to use a
standardised 3-4 code e.g abk and when they press space , for
Ablepharus kitaibelli (in italics) to come out instead.
Regards,
Bev.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bev,

You can use the change event to change the formatting of all the desired words after the entry has
been made in the cell. Create a named range Italicized (your entries currently in sheet1 B1:B???).
Copy the code below, right-click the sheet tab, select "View Code" and paste the code into the
window that appears. The named range Italicized can be dynamic.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Dim myR As Long
If Target.Cells.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Value = "" Then Exit Sub
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("Italicized")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

For myR = 1 To Range("Italicized").Cells.Count
If Range("Italicized").Cells(myR).Value < "" Then
If InStr(1, Target.Value, Range("Italicized").Cells(myR).Value) 0 Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Characters( _
InStr(1, Target.Value, Range("Italicized").Cells(myR).Value), _
Len(Range("Italicized").Cells(myR).Value)).Font.Fo ntStyle = "Italic"
Application.EnableEvents = True
Next myR
End Sub

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 28 May, 18:01, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org wrote:
[...]

* * * End If
* *End If
Next myR
End Sub

link where a company has done something similar -http://www.biologicalrecordscentre.gov.gg/files/italicise.htmlbut as
I said, my VBA is effectively NIL *- the code above has been snaffled
from a website too! This is a request from one of our staff members
and am trying to see if it can be done as the admin teams have to type
up large field reports full of latin names, so they wish to use a
standardised 3-4 code e.g abk and when they press space , for
Ablepharus kitaibelli (in italics) to come out instead.
Regards,
Bev.- Hide quoted text -

All - thanks for the help - will give the code a go - I'm sure that if
I spend some time at it I can grasp the hang of VBA.
Bev.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
No - what I am attempting to do is to autopopulate the autocorrect
list with some short code entries that can be used by some of my users
which will prevent them from having to type out the entire Latin
string when typing field reports and site management statements in
Word - as they can be tricky - I was hoping that I could force the
formatting (as can be done in Windows autocorrect) to italic (as all
Latin names for species must be shown as such) - given that someone
has managed to do something similar in Word (i.e. the link I pasted),
that something similar could be done - the list is to be kept in excel
as the macro I have will populate autocorrect with the agreed codes,
so its just the additional formatting requirement that is
outstanding.
I will give Bernie's code a go and see if that helps - I'm sure that
after 14 years as a developer I can manage to get my head round VBA
without the need to hire a consultant for such a small request.
Regards,
Bev.

VBA to Make Check Box Entry Ken Hudson Excel Programming 5 June 22nd 07 03:36 PM
Italic Naz Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 10th 07 04:07 PM
Can I make a data entry box? gobonniego Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 February 1st 07 03:36 AM
Lookup and change to italic italic Doug Excel Worksheet Functions 2 October 30th 06 01:39 PM
How do I make a unique entry Lynn Bales New Users to Excel 9 August 15th 05 10:55 PM