Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
XP XP is offline

Default Deployment of XL programs in 2003 vs 2007

In Office 2003, I typically created self-installing toolbars in hidden
workbooks which I then emailed to users. When users opened the program file,
the toolbar would be built, but the file would run hidden. At any future time
that the user needed those programs, they would just click any of the toolbar
buttons and the file would open quietly, run hidden, and the programs were
immediately available. It all worked very nicely and they didn't need to go
searching for programs. They could also turn the toolbars on/off if desired
without de-installing.

I'm still learning about the ribbon and I've done some customizations of it.
But, I'm still trying to figure out how I can duplicate this same sort of
deployment in 2007 (or improved deployment). I guess I could still hide the
file containing the custom ribbon and the users would just have to find and
open the program file to get to the custom tools?

Can someone please give me some ideas on how to approach this? I do not have
VSTO or any other development tools. I only have Windows XP, Office 2007 and
the apps that come with it. Ideas? Where should I start looking?

Thanks much in advance for your assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your toolbars are still created--but they only show up in the Addins tab.

I'm gonna start with Ron de Bruin's site when I get enough courage.

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

And maybe read this:
http://www.amazon.com/RibbonX-Custom...57953&sr= 8-1

or
http://snipurl.com/25ty2 [www_amazon_com]

By Robert Martin, Ken Puls, and Teresa Henniq.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm gonna start with Ron de Bruin's site when I get enough courage.

It's actually easier than using VBA to build menus and toolbars, but it's
separate from VBA and difficult to adjust on the fly.

Ron's site is a good starting place, and so is the book you cite.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions