Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Conditional Format / VLookup

What I would like to do is have a conditional format which looks at the
value of the cell then find the matching value on the WorkShifts Monday
worksheet (that value would be found in column A and then when it finds that
look at Column U. If the value in column U is "Large" I want to set the cell
shading to blue ( I know how to set the format if the condition is met it is
everything before that I can not figure out).

The range for WorkShifts Monday worksheet is A3:U120. I am assuming that
this would require there to be some sort of VLookUp as part of the
conditional forma.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure I understand your worksheet layout properly. Are you
saying you have a worksheet named "WorkShifts Monday" and you want to
format column A blue if the corresponding column U contains the word
"Large" is that correct?

If so your conditional formatting formula would be:

=U3="Large"

Does that help?

--JP

On Apr 10, 11:10*pm, "Patrick C. Simonds"
wrote:
What I would like to do is have a conditional format which looks at the
value of the cell then find the matching value on the WorkShifts Monday
worksheet (that value would be found in column A and then when it finds that
look at Column U. If the value in column U is "Large" I want to set the cell
shading to blue ( I know how to set the format if the condition is met it is
everything before that I can not figure out).

The range for WorkShifts Monday worksheet is A3:U120. *I am assuming that
this would require there to be some sort of VLookUp as part of the
conditional forma.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This code works as a regular equation on a worksheet and will also work in
conditional formatiing. Change the look value A1 as required. Make sure I
got the sheet name correct. because you have a space in the sheet name you
must put a single quote around the sheet name.

=IF(LOOKUP(A1,'WorkShifts Monday'!$A:$A,'WorkShifts
Monday'!$U:$U)="Large",TRUE,FALSE)

"Patrick C. Simonds" wrote:

What I would like to do is have a conditional format which looks at the
value of the cell then find the matching value on the WorkShifts Monday
worksheet (that value would be found in column A and then when it finds that
look at Column U. If the value in column U is "Large" I want to set the cell
shading to blue ( I know how to set the format if the condition is met it is
everything before that I can not figure out).

The range for WorkShifts Monday worksheet is A3:U120. I am assuming that
this would require there to be some sort of VLookUp as part of the
conditional forma.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry I didn't check the solution in a conditional format. The next best
solution is to use an auxilary column on the same worksheet. Put the VLOOKUP
statement in a cell on the worksheet where you want the conditional format.
The put the if statment in the condition format using the auxilary column

put in IV1
=LOOKUP(A1,'WorkShifts Monday'!$A:$A,'WorkShifts Monday'!$U:$U)

then in A1 conditional format
=IF(IV1="Large",TRUE,FALSE)