Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Default Newbie to VSTO basic question about what to buy

It looks like the "writting is on the wall" for VBA. I have a number of
excel addins I created using VBA (with built in VBE) I want to migrate to the
new framework. As a complete newcomer to the VS tool suite I find it a bit
confusing as to what I should buy. I see VS 2008 is out now, but I could not
find any mention of VSTO for VS 2008. Do I apply VSTO 2005 on top of VS 2008
or do I have to get the older VS 2005 to use with VSTO (or do I wait for a
2008 version of VSTO)? I'm also a bit confused about the 2 kinds of VSTO (it
seems like one for application level macros and the other is for document
level macros) and where to purchace each. I know this is a very basic
question and I'm sure the answer is out there, but I'm finding the results of
my searches a bit overwhelming. If some one can give me the short and simple
answer it would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe that VSTO and VSTO SE have been fully integrated into VS2008 as
native project types (assuming you have Office installed on the same
machine), and a separate VSTO-2008 type extension isn't required -- it is
all native to VS2008. When I open up VS2008, I can choose from about 25
Office-related project types, roughly half for Office 2003 and half for
Office 2007 (you may have fewer project types depending on what Office
programs you have installed). Thus, if you are using VS2008, you don't need
VSTO or VSTO SE.

If you are going to jump into NET I would go with VS2008 and forget about
VSTO. In my opinion, VSTO had the flavor of a hack job to get Office and NET
linked up.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thaks Chip, you may can advise me pleas if it has been fully integrated
into VS2008 ?
just installed teh standard release and I don't see it °°

Regards

native project types

,
"Chip Pearson"