Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Remove a Defined Name

Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in 1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You posted your question in a "programming" newsgroup... are you wanting to
do this in code?

You can do it directly from the spreadsheet.... click Insert/Name/Define on
Excel's menu bar, select the defined name you want to delete from the list
and click the Delete button.

Rick

"AccessHelp" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in
1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your response. I have tried to remove it manually several times
(Insert|Name|Define), and it would not remove. As long as I can remove this
defined name from this workbook, I would be happy to try any method (code,
manually, etc.).

As far as posting in the group, I thought I cross-posted my message.

By the way, how do I cross-post a message in the groups? I thought I did it
correctly.

Thanks.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

You posted your question in a "programming" newsgroup... are you wanting to
do this in code?

You can do it directly from the spreadsheet.... click Insert/Name/Define on
Excel's menu bar, select the defined name you want to delete from the list
and click the Delete button.

Rick

"AccessHelp" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in
1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That looks like an invalid name--both the vertical bar and the space will cause
an error.

I'd try this:
Tools|options|General|Check R1C1 Reference style
Then click ok
Then change it back
Tools|options|General|uncheck R1C1 Reference style

I'm not sure which action will cause excel to complain about that invalid name,
but at some point, excel will yell at you to use a valid name. Have one handy
(DeleteMeLater)???

Then after you rename that name, you can delete the new name
(insert|name|define).

Since you're working with names, get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams
and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It has this as one of its features (IIRC).

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I understand cross-posting is not appropriate.

It may cause someone to read your message many times, answers will not
appear in all groups, and it uses excess space.

Let me know if I misunderstood.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

You posted your question in a "programming" newsgroup... are you wanting to
do this in code?

You can do it directly from the spreadsheet.... click Insert/Name/Define on
Excel's menu bar, select the defined name you want to delete from the list
and click the Delete button.

Rick

"AccessHelp" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in
1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ps. I don't use the web interface to get to the newsgroups. You may want to
use a newsreader (if possible), too. Then you can just include all the
newsgroups that you want to cross post to in the header before you send the
message.

But it usually isn't necessary. Pick the one that's most appropriate. You'll
find that the regulars here read the newsgroups with the most volume.

Microsoft.public.excel
Microsoft.public.excel.misc
Microsoft.public.excel.programming
Microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Microsoft.public.excel.newusers

and for charting specific questions:
Microsoft.public.excel.charting

Saved from a previous post:

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It looks like Dave is on to something in his post to this thread, so you
should follow up on your main question there.

As for cross-posting, the process is simple... just list each newsgroup,
separated by commas, in the Newsgroup field (this is similar to how you
would send the same email message to multiple people). When you cross-post
this way, any answers you receive any of the newsgroups will be seen in all
of the newsgroups. This is good in that you don't waste volunteers time
providing you with the same answer in one group that you already got in
another group plus you get better follow-ups from volunteers who may not
visit or see your response elsewhere. HOWEVER, you should only cross-post to
groups that your question would be appropriate in. The question you asked
here would seem to be more appropriate in microsoft.public.excel or
microsoft.public.excel.misc instead of here.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

Thank you very much for your help.

First of all, the define name is gone, even the ones that are hidden (using
the "Name Manager.xla"). I don't know how she created to make those define
names hidden and with a special character. Do you know?

Secondly, I follow your instructions by checking the "R1C1 Reference Style".
Then Excel prompted me for a new name for that special character define
name. After I gave a new name, Excel allowed me to delete the define name.
Can you explain to me what "R1C1 Reference Style" is to prompt the Excel for
a new define name for that special character define name?

Thank you again very much for your helps. Plus, thank you for sharing the
"Name Manager.xla". It is/will be very helpful.

AccessHelp wrote:

Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in 1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick,

Thanks again for the information. I don't usually do the cross-post, unless
I feel it would relevent to other groups.

Thanks again.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think that other spreadsheet programs (like Lotus 123) allowed you to make
names that excel doesn't like. In fact, I think earlier versions of excel
allowed this kind of behavior, too.

You can create names in code (in an excel macro) that allows you to hide the
name. In fact, that name manager addin has a button that will toggle the
visibility of names.

====
Toggle that setting (tools|options|general tab|Check R1C1 reference style).

You'll see that your column headers are no longer A, B, C, D, ...
They're now 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

And a formula in E7 that used to look like: =A1+B3+$D$5
now look like: =R[-6]C[-4]+R[-4]C[-3]+R5C4

Some people like R1C1 Reference style. Some (most??) people don't like it.

AccessHelp wrote:

Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in 1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain to me.

Speaking of hiding the define names, would you happen to know the code for
hiding them?

Thanks.

AccessHelp wrote:

Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in 1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

With ActiveSheet.Range("a1")
.Name = "hideme"
.Name.Visible = False
End With

You can test it by
Insert|Name|define and looking for the name

or by
Edit|goto (or ctrl-g or F5) and looking for the name.
If you don't see it, try typing it in the Reference box and then hit Ok.

If it goes where you want, you did good!