Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
AccessHelp AccessHelp is offline

Default Remove a Defined Name

Good morning Dave,

Thank you again very much for your help. You code works perfectly. Thanks.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

One way:

With ActiveSheet.Range("a1")
.Name = "hideme"
.Name.Visible = False
End With

You can test it by
Insert|Name|define and looking for the name

or by
Edit|goto (or ctrl-g or F5) and looking for the name.
If you don't see it, try typing it in the Reference box and then hit Ok.

If it goes where you want, you did good!

AccessHelp wrote:

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain to me.

Speaking of hiding the define names, would you happen to know the code for
hiding them?

Thanks.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I think that other spreadsheet programs (like Lotus 123) allowed you to make
names that excel doesn't like. In fact, I think earlier versions of excel
allowed this kind of behavior, too.

You can create names in code (in an excel macro) that allows you to hide the
name. In fact, that name manager addin has a button that will toggle the
visibility of names.

====
Toggle that setting (tools|options|general tab|Check R1C1 reference style).

You'll see that your column headers are no longer A, B, C, D, ...
They're now 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

And a formula in E7 that used to look like: =A1+B3+$D$5
now look like: =R[-6]C[-4]+R[-4]C[-3]+R5C4

Some people like R1C1 Reference style. Some (most??) people don't like it.

AccessHelp wrote:

Dave,

Thank you very much for your help.

First of all, the define name is gone, even the ones that are hidden (using
the "Name Manager.xla"). I don't know how she created to make those define
names hidden and with a special character. Do you know?

Secondly, I follow your instructions by checking the "R1C1 Reference Style".
Then Excel prompted me for a new name for that special character define
name. After I gave a new name, Excel allowed me to delete the define name.
Can you explain to me what "R1C1 Reference Style" is to prompt the Excel for
a new define name for that special character define name?

Thank you again very much for your helps. Plus, thank you for sharing the
"Name Manager.xla". It is/will be very helpful.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

That looks like an invalid name--both the vertical bar and the space will cause
an error.

I'd try this:
Tools|options|General|Check R1C1 Reference style
Then click ok
Then change it back
Tools|options|General|uncheck R1C1 Reference style

I'm not sure which action will cause excel to complain about that invalid name,
but at some point, excel will yell at you to use a valid name. Have one handy
(DeleteMeLater)???

Then after you rename that name, you can delete the new name
(insert|name|define).

Since you're working with names, get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams
and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It has this as one of its features (IIRC).

AccessHelp wrote:

Hello,

I have a workbook which contains a defined name "_|_ Print Area". I have
been trying to remove it from the workbook several times, and I can not
remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

Apprently, the defined name is referencing to a file that we created in 1999
and to a file that located in our network.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

--