Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "Can't enter break mode at this time" error coming up

Hi,

I am trying to have my code execute up to a point and then stop -- I have
been doing this successfully, up until now, by typing "Stop" into my code
where I want the code execution to suspend. For some reason, I am now
getting the error message noted in the subject of this post -- when I click
on "Help", it gives me the following explanation (below is the only wording
from this explanation that appears that it applies to my case). When I
queried info on "extensibility", I was brought to the help for Security - I
tried changing the "Trust all installed add-ins and templates" checkbox but
that didn't fix the issue.

"A change was made programmatically to the project using the extensibility
(add-in) object model. This prevents the program from having execution
suspended. You can continue running, or end execution, but can't suspend
execution."

Thanks in advance!
--
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

After spending some time rearching this on Google, I was able to find that
the issue is that I am adding ActiveX controls in my code -- apparently, when
this is done, you can't put breaks in the code. I commented out where I am
adding the Active X controls and I was indeed able to put the break in my
code.

I'm wondering - does anyone know if there is a workaround to this issue?
I'd like to think that there is a way to have ActiveX controls added through
my code and still be able to put a break in my code.

Thanks!

--
Robert

"robs3131" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow - I should've searched this site first before going to Google! Don't
know why I forgot to do that. Anyway, I saw a thread from back in May of
this year about this exact issue - it seems that no one had a way of working
around the issue. If anyone does have a way to workaround this, please let
me know.

Thanks!

--
Robert

"robs3131" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not really an official way, but I will often have a msgbox pop up, this will
break the code until you click ok, you can place anywhere and still go into
your code and look at data, iterations etc, instead of pressing "play" again
you just hit ok and it goes to the next break or msgbox
--
-John
is helpful.

"robs3131" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

PeterT posted a reply to similar question within the last week that may
apply.
Has to do with adding an ActiveX control forces a recompile of the project.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...c53ca1 52d528

Maybe add Forms controls instead if possible.

NickHK

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Nick and John for the information. I think I'm going to try John's
approach of using msgbox to break the code.

It seems though from the link Nick posted that serious problems can arise
from having the code to add AcitiveX controls in the workbook you are
developing -- he suggested using another workbook to house the code to add
the controls...I haven't seen any major issue, besides the inability to break
the code, by housing the code to add ActiveX controls within the workbook I'm
developing but I'll keep an eye on that. If either of you have seen problems
with this please let me know.

Thanks again,
--
Robert