Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2000 vs 2003

I have a rather large Workbook, 50Megs, that when I open in Excel 2000 it
takes about 1 minute to open, but once open the Macros take no more than 30
seconds for the most complex macro.

When I use Excel 2003, the same file takes about :10 seconds to open, but
the same macros take as long as 5 minutes? Why and is there a way I can
speed up the macros when they run? Its more important for the macros to
run faster than it is for the file to open. I did stop the error checking,
but that did not help.

--
MJM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Difficult to say without knowing what function the macro performs. The file
size might suggest moving the data store to SQL Server or Access.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"MikeM" wrote:
I have a rather large Workbook, 50Megs, that when I open in Excel 2000 it
takes about 1 minute to open, but once open the Macros take no more than
30
seconds for the most complex macro.

When I use Excel 2003, the same file takes about :10 seconds to open, but
the same macros take as long as 5 minutes? Why and is there a way I can
speed up the macros when they run? Its more important for the macros to
run faster than it is for the file to open. I did stop the error
checking,
but that did not help.

--
MJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave
Putting onto a SQL Server is not an option.
The Macro's do everything from Changing Formula in 15 Wooksheets to Advanced
Filtering. Why it takes longer to open in 2000 and Macro's run faster to it
Opening very quickly in 2003 and same macros take a lot longer to run?
--
MJM

"MikeM" wrote:
I have a rather large Workbook, 50Megs, that when I open in Excel 2000 it
takes about 1 minute to open, but once open the Macros take no more than
30
seconds for the most complex macro.

When I use Excel 2003, the same file takes about :10 seconds to open, but
the same macros take as long as 5 minutes? Why and is there a way I can
speed up the macros when they run? Its more important for the macros to
run faster than it is for the file to open. I did stop the error
checking,
but that did not help.

--
MJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike,
Each time a WB is open, the version of Excel that was used is stored
somewhere in it.
If the WB is subsequently open in a different version, recalculation occurs
anyway because of differences in the calculation engine of versions. The XL
version that created the WB may also be a factor.
This may account for the apparent differences in opening time.

As for macro speed, the Excel object models changed somewhat between those
versions, but not significantly.
Both (XL2K & XL2002 anyway) use the same VBA version.

If you both version on the same machine, you could time certain
routines/call to see where the execution speed varies.
If the versions are on different machines, then you have some added
variables.

NickHK

"MikeM" wrote:
I have a rather large Workbook, 50Megs, that when I open in Excel 2000

it
takes about 1 minute to open, but once open the Macro's take no more

than
30
seconds for the most complex macro.

When I use Excel 2003, the same file takes about :10 seconds to open,

but
the same macro's take as long as 5 minutes? Why and is there a way I

can
speed up the macro's when they run? Its more important for the macro'

s to
run faster than it is for the file to open. I did stop the error
checking,
but that did not help.

--
MJM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick
Thanks for the feedback. Is there a way to recreate the Workbook in the new
version short of creating a new version of the workbook in Excel 2003?
I do believe that the you are right on target with the recalculation routine
between version. I would think that by saving in the new version it would
make the changes as into the new version?
Any idea's would be welcome!
--
MJM