Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default upgraded from 200 to 2007- modify macro menus

Hello all.
We just upgraded from Office 2000 to 2007 today, and while I backed up all
of my macros, (and they're still in their original locations that can readily
be accessed,) I'm not able to access them as I did before-- with one click
menu buttons.
My problem thus far is as follows:
1- I see where I can customize the new ribbon menu. I see where I can paste
the icons/macros to the ribbon toolbar. I cannot however identify where I can
change the icons to a name for my macro-- so that I actually remember what it
was it's suppose to be doing.
2- I'd come here a while back and a couple of guys gave me some code to make
a custom drop down menu. I've been able to activate that macro/menu, but now
I am not able to insert more macros on that custom menu/toolbar.
3- Perhaps belonging to item two-- I've noticed that there is a "toolbar
commands" under the customize quick-access toolbar. Under the customize
option at the left, and then pull down the "choose commands from" to "all
commands." Scroll down to the end of the T's, and you'll see it just above
"tools."
While this appears to be a "custom" toolbar that I could add in my macros of
choice for easy access, I see no means by which I can accomplish that.
a- the modify button is greyed out, and not accessible.
b- I'm not able to right click to make any changes as we did in older
versions.
So......
my questions are......
How do we make these changes in 2007?
1- I need to change from the image icons to names.
2 & 3, I need to have a series of custom drop down menus that I can place
all of my macros in, with names, for easy access.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Best to all!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve

Not so easy anymore like in the older Excel versions.

I have a simple dropdown menu example for the QAT on my site that is very easy to change
See the 2007 section on my site.

See also the ribbon page if you want to make your own ribbon tab

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

boy, you got that right!!!! argh!!!! :-(
Actually, I found your stuff already, and printed it out so that I can go
through it-- qat.html, and qat2.html files.
I've downloaded the mymacro.xlsb, and the myworkbook.xlsm files.
While I've gotten the drop down menus to work, I am not able to activate my
own macros when I place them in the new xlsb file.
All it appears to do is to de-activate your "wizard 1" macro, with the
message box stating that this is macro 1. I.e., it stopped activating a
message box with the statement "this is macro 1", nor will it perform the
task I've assigned in my macro.
Amazingly enough, I did use my drop-down menu routine to make a ribbon bar,
but the ribbon tab that I created won't allow me to edit its contents at all.
I need to get into each of those-- preferably the ribbon menu--those, place
my macros inside of them, with a name instead of an icon, and activate my
macros.
Cool qat toolbar though..... now if you can just tell me how its done to
make the modifications to each of the new qat menu items, I'll be in hog
heaven.
Thanks for your response.

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage:

Edit the menu :

ViewUnhide in the ribbon
Select MyMacroFile and press OK

Or if you try the qat2.htm example

Edit the menu :

Right click on a sheet tab and choose Unhide if you want to change the menu
Or use "HomeFormat..Hide & Unhide" in the ribbon

Then edit the table you see with the macro names of your macros en the text you want to
see in the dropdown,

--

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron,
Ok.... if I understand this correctly, you're stating that once I've clicked
the "unhide" and access the MyMacro.xlsb file, where I see the names of the
contents of your pop-up--
column B Column C
Caption Macro Name
Wi&zards
Wizard Number &1 MyMacro1
etc....
I edit the names of the macros (you've given-- MyMacro1, MyMacro2, etc...)
in column C (to match the names of my own), and that's where I can make the
necessary changes to activate my macros?
Here's where I feel somewhat stupid-- that it could/would be that simple,
yet so elegantly hidden.
Am I correctly understanding what you've stated?
SteveB.
"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage:

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron.
Ok.... it appears that I've done it correctly. My last response is exactly
how it needs to be done.
And from what I can tell, I can keep adding, modifying, inserting rows in
the .xlsb file to keep adding my macros.
Would you mind adding this to your webpage to make it clear for guys like me
who are programming challenged?
I'll post this one as solved.
Enjoy your weekend-- if they have those in the Netherlands.
Best,
SteveB.

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage:

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default upgraded from 2000 to 2007- modify macro menus

Hi Ron.
I'm back again because after I got things working, I realized that I wanted
to do more with this.
What I'd like to do is to make not just one menu with multiple drop down
levels- but multiple menus with single levels.
I see that the module in the xlsb file appears to have the basic code for
the menu itself.
Since I'm not at work right now, I can't visually look it over, I'll assume
that also within the module that has this code for the menu also links the
MyMacro.xlsb worksheet with each of the menu items-- wizards, tools, etc...
My questions here are as follows.
1- Can I make another macro within the same module-- change the name of it,
to add another menu item-- if I do the following?
a- make a second worksheet in the xlsb file, with the second menu macro.
b- in which I'd basically duplicate the same things you did on the first
worksheet- "MainMenu."
2- I'd repeat this process for each subsequent menu item that I'd add.

With the ribbon custom menu, I'd like to do the above as well. Or perhaps, I
should state that I'd like to do the ribbon menu instead of the QAT.
If I create a secondary xlsb workbook with any-other name, or perhaps even
another worksheet, and place all of the same information as you've
demonstrated with the original xlsb worksheet.
I hope this is clear enough, if not, I may need to wait until Monday when I
can get back to work to access the file so as to more succinctly discuss this
(I have Office 2003 here at home, and while I've got 2007, I haven't
installed it yet).
Thanks again for your help.

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage:

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes It is possible to make two dropdown menu's
But it is easier to add the second level to one of the menu items.

should state that I'd like to do the ribbon menu instead of the QAT.

Have you try the XMLcreator workbook on this page
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm

--

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage:

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve

Would you mind adding this to your webpage to make it clear for guys like me

The problem is that people not read Steve.
I can add a lot of text but 95% of the people not read this

About unhiding the sheet for example to edit the menu
This is on the webpage and also in the text in the sheet of the example workbook.

--

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage:

"SteveDB1" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes It is possible to make two dropdown menu's
But it is easier to add the second level to one of the menu items.

I've noticed that. It was actually easier than I'd thought it'd be once I
understood what what was taking place with the sematics in the xlsb main menu
sheet. Which is what got me to thinking about this further.
One of my colleagues has multiple macros that he prefers having first level
access to. He and I actually discussed this with the original Office 2000
drop down menus that I'd obtained a few months ago-- he didn't like the idea
of having multi-level menus because it'd be too easy to get lost trying to
remember where the macros were.
I'll read the XMLCreator write-up you did.
Again-- thank you, immensely, for your help.
Regards,
SteveB.

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

If you use the QAT example workbook it is very simple to edit your menu
From the webpage: