Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default sorting data

Hi there,

Ive been asked to produce a report from a csv file which will use the
following criteria, Stock Code / Date / which would be fine but there
will be multiple entries for the stock codes IE we could well purchase
10 of an item, and the report (excel file need only contain the last 2
purchases or 1 if we only purchased 1) so I would end up with in stock
code order - single item purchases at the top followed by items
purchased twice followed by the last 2 items from 2 purchases of the
next item and so on finishing with the last 2 purchases of an item
bought 50 times in the last month. Now excel is very good at sorting
unique items but I am thinking i need to first sort by stock which
assigns a 1 in the next column by unique codes 2 next too codes
appearing twice, then 3 next to items appearing 3 times and so on.
Then I would list the items by that column all the 1's then 2's then
3's then i would need to order the stock codes within the groupings by
date and then finally remove any stock codes that arent the top 2 date
orders. Im hoping someone understands what im asking as the table is
over 4000 entries long.

Thanks.

Lewis