Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Frankgjr

Default colors of bar charted data don't follow data after sorting

I created a bar chart that has 14 variables. I changed the color of 2 bars to
yellow, 5 bars to blue, and 6 bars to red. When new data is ploted and sorted
in a desending order. the colored bars don't follow the variable, they stay
in their original location. I have to manualy change the colors to match my
ledgend.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

The columns will not be sorted along with you data.
You will be to change the colour of the columns after the sorting.

You can do this manually or with code or with the use of formula and
multiple data series.
For the formula/multi series approach see this explanation by Jon
Peltier on dynamic charting.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

If you need to use code then post back with the conditions used to
determine what columns get which colours.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

I have code at the end of this article that explains how to vary colors in a
chart according to category label:

find the "Color by Category Label (Conditional Formatting)" section.

The article's about pie charts, but the code works in column charts too. If
the colors vary based on other criteria, you need to adjust the code
accordingly.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP