Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Please Help-sorting Data

Hi,

Ive got a sorting problem....

the user enters data in a sheet (say 8 rows of data) . I have to choos
the top 3 from that data . for example:

*col a col b col c *

a emp1 41,454
b emp2 256,456
c emp3 116,755
d emp4 (257,000)
e emp5 946,001
f emp6 (244,545)
g emp7 86,242
h emp8 710,200

From this data in "Col C ",I have to choose the top three(startin
from the highest ) separating the negatives from the positives an
display the data in the 3 columns.

It would be enough if I am able to choose the top three positiv
numbers.

Nested ifs are proving to be too difficult to manage after 3 or
numbers.

please help........

thanx in advance,
Arvind

--
mnarvin
mnarvind's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1520

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Data=sort, use column 3 as the sort key.

Otherwise, state why you are having problems.

You can also look at the worksheet functions Large, Index, Match, Vlookup,
Lookup, Rank as a start.

Tom Ogilvy

"mnarvind" wrote in message

Ive got a sorting problem....

the user enters data in a sheet (say 8 rows of data) . I have to choose
the top 3 from that data . for example:

*col a col b col c *

a emp1 41,454
b emp2 256,456
c emp3 116,755
d emp4 (257,000)
e emp5 946,001
f emp6 (244,545)
g emp7 86,242
h emp8 710,200

From this data in "Col C ",I have to choose the top three(starting
from the highest ) separating the negatives from the positives and
display the data in the 3 columns.

It would be enough if I am able to choose the top three positive
numbers.

Nested ifs are proving to be too difficult to manage after 3 or 4
numbers.

please help........

thanx in advance,
Arvind.