Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Programming Office 2007 and compatibility with old office

I'm considering upgrading some of my machines to Office 2007, I have
2002 and 2003 running on other machines.

My main concern is regarding compatibility of my custom apps. I don't
merely mean binding the right object library, I mean Office 2007 is
supposedly a radical reinvention of Office (if you believe the hype)
and perhaps a lot of the methods which worked for the older versions
might not have parallels at all in the new one.

I'm not expecting someone to write me a treatise on the subject from
this newsgroup, but would appreciate pointers to some good web
resources that discuss this issue.

Thanks

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is not so much backwards compatibility that is the issue IMO, but rather
that the much hyped improved user interface takes a lot of getting used to.

You could work without using the new functionality, but it will take some
adaptation on your part.

Also, customising the ribbon is nowhere near as simple as customising
command was.

--
HTH

Bob

"travis" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering upgrading some of my machines to Office 2007, I have
2002 and 2003 running on other machines.

My main concern is regarding compatibility of my custom apps. I don't
merely mean binding the right object library, I mean Office 2007 is
supposedly a radical reinvention of Office (if you believe the hype)
and perhaps a lot of the methods which worked for the older versions
might not have parallels at all in the new one.

I'm not expecting someone to write me a treatise on the subject from
this newsgroup, but would appreciate pointers to some good web
resources that discuss this issue.

Thanks

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Most IT shops would install a test version of xl2007 and then test their
applications in that environment before making any decisions on upgrading.
Obviously you would want to test the compatibility of moving a file/app back
and forth as well.

Check out this link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx
the first article should be interesting, but don't stop there.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"travis" wrote:

I'm considering upgrading some of my machines to Office 2007, I have
2002 and 2003 running on other machines.

My main concern is regarding compatibility of my custom apps. I don't
merely mean binding the right object library, I mean Office 2007 is
supposedly a radical reinvention of Office (if you believe the hype)
and perhaps a lot of the methods which worked for the older versions
might not have parallels at all in the new one.

I'm not expecting someone to write me a treatise on the subject from
this newsgroup, but would appreciate pointers to some good web
resources that discuss this issue.

Thanks

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Most IT shops would install a test version of xl2007 and then test their
applications in that environment before making any decisions on upgrading.

I am absolutely astounded by the number of people who seem not to have done
this, but instead dove into the shallow end head first.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"travis" wrote:

I'm considering upgrading some of my machines to Office 2007, I have
2002 and 2003 running on other machines.

My main concern is regarding compatibility of my custom apps. I don't
merely mean binding the right object library, I mean Office 2007 is
supposedly a radical reinvention of Office (if you believe the hype)
and perhaps a lot of the methods which worked for the older versions
might not have parallels at all in the new one.

I'm not expecting someone to write me a treatise on the subject from
this newsgroup, but would appreciate pointers to some good web
resources that discuss this issue.

Thanks

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Travis -

You will see innumerable posts in this and other newsgroups where people are
asking for help in 2007, in many cases because of differences between 2007
and established versions. Read some of these posts to get a feel for the
changes.

While you're at it, follow Tom's advice, and install 2007 on a computer
which is not mission critical, then test copies of your important workbooks
and programs to make sure they perform as expected.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions