Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default automatic recovery info

I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without saving
and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had saved it.
I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did are lost
forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dean

Autorecover offers the chance to recover from a crash, not user fat fingers.

The temporary Autorecovery files are deleted when/if the workbook is
successfully saved/closed, which was the case in your situation.

So.......yes, you are right. No do-overs.

Some info for your perusal and possible assistance in future.

If you're using Excel 2002 or 2003, there is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as
there was in earlier versions.

Autorecovery from ToolsOptionsSave is it. This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 on 2002 and 2003 and does the job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe
which also doen't alert before saving.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:02:14 -0800, "Dean" wrote:

I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without saving
and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had saved it.
I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did are lost
forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dean,

Auto-recovery is not auto-save. It saves information needed to restore a
corrupted workbook, not a complete copy of your workbook.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Dean" wrote in message
I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without saving
and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had saved it.
I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did are lost
forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's a neat little snippet from Mr. Guillett that I have used for a long
time now. It's kind of like an itch, you learn to scratch it without really
thinking about it.

Sub backup()
'Don Guillett, misc, 2000-05-08
Fname = ActiveWorkbook.Name
ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs "C:\msoffice\personal\BACKUP\ " & Fname
ActiveWorkbook.Save

Alan

"Dean" wrote in message
I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without saving
and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had saved it.
I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did are lost
forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What is the advantage of this over just clicking the save icon every so
often - I don't get it. Are you assuming that I have a reason, other than
laziness, not to save it under the same filename? I don't.

Thanks, Alan!
Dean

"Dean" wrote in message
I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without saving
and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had saved
it. I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did are lost
forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I didn't mean anything about anything Dean! I just threw an idea out there.
If you look closely, it doesn't just save, like you're clicking the save
icon, it saves a backup. I use this as I am coding so I can go back if I
want. Geeez, some people are so freakin' touchy!

"Dean" wrote in message
I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without saving
and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had saved
it. I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did are lost
forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One of the hazards of this medium is people can't see your expression when
you wrote the words. I meant no offense whatsoever. I appreciate your
attempt at helping. When I do save, I usually, rename the file
as -1, -2, -3 so I can go back as well, although it's usually more so that
if a file corrupts, I might have a version that I can reprogram.

Best regards,
Dean

"Dean" wrote in message
I just accidentally closed out the wrong file of two files without
saving and then, foolishly further, re-opened it in the hopes that I had
saved it. I did not. I assume that any automatic recovery saves I did
are lost forever right?

Thanks!
Dean, the idiot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, there are hazards to using this medium, so please try not to assume
about people assumptions. As far as I can tell, everyone is here just trying
to help others. Take it for what it is and don't assume anything other than
someone is trying to help. Otherwise, easy is assumed as lazy. Where the
heck did that come from? And, Thanks, Alan! will not be taken as it was
projected.

No response is necessary or even wanted.