Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel automation: are there some timing constraints?

<I had posted that in vbasic newsgroup 3 days ago but I had no response

==========
Talking about:

Private Sub moExcelApp_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target
As Excel.Range)
<my code
End Sub

Can I place my code safely inside that subroutine or are there some timing
restrictions?

There must be some timing limitations, because when I step through the code
in that routine (place a breakpoint), MsExcel starts flashing and displays
message that it waits for OLE operation to be completed or something like
that.
Where I can read about it more?
Jack

Your comments appreciated,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jack,

The VB experts tend to be less responsive to questions as vague as yours
which may be the reason you didn't get a response. Following based on a
guess as to what you are doing.

VB/A and Excel's calculation routines do not run asynchronously (unless
doing something like Shell).

If (?) you are doing something like VB VBA ( XL-cells-calc VBA) VB,
this will typically run consecutively (although DoEvents may be required for
just a few things).

If (?) you are stepping between VB/VBA the message you get is normal
although annoying. Dismiss it whenever you see it (might be hidden under a
window), particularly if you go on to press F5 or things may slow
considerably or give problems switching between windows.

When code is run normally the little you have described does not of its own
indicate a problem.

Regards,
Peter T