Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MicroSoft Office Development Tool Kit (SDK)

I am looking for the replacement package for the above referenced application
which I purchased in the mid-1990s and have since misplaced. I am interested
in developing MS Excel applications for resell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alton,

I'm not familiar with the "Microsoft Office Development Tool Kit (SDK)".
What did it do? I'm wondering if COM Add-Ins, which are add-ins that can be
used in any Office application (assuming its written to support each
application), are what you are looking for.

Post back with the tasks that this program did for you, and which ones you
want to replicate, and someone will likely have a good answer.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Alton Jones" <Alton wrote in message
I am looking for the replacement package for the above referenced
application
which I purchased in the mid-1990s and have since misplaced. I am
interested
in developing MS Excel applications for resell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chip,

What it did, like the MS Access Developers Tool Kit, was enable the user to
develop and resell custom applications in the entire Microsoft Office Suite
of applications.

Alton

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alton Jones -

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Exce.../dp/1556156324

But it is quite possible to develop Excel applications and Excel add-ins
using only Excel's built-in VBA.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Alton Jones" <Alton wrote in message
I am looking for the replacement package for the above referenced
application
which I purchased in the mid-1990s and have since misplaced. I am
interested
in developing MS Excel applications for resell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mike,

What I'm looking for is the current version of what was once called the
Microsoft Office Development Tool Kit (SDK).

Perhaps it has a new name...

Perhaps it's bundles with something else...

Perhaps one has to buy MS Offfice Professional and then has to buy some sort
of plug-in/add-in to enable the user to have resell rights of their custom
developed application...

I look forward to your reply.

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Alton Jones -

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Exce.../dp/1556156324

But it is quite possible to develop Excel applications and Excel add-ins
using only Excel's built-in VBA.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Alton Jones" <Alton wrote in message
I am looking for the replacement package for the above referenced
application
which I purchased in the mid-1990s and have since misplaced. I am
interested
in developing MS Excel applications for resell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alton -

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know, you do not have to "buy some sort
of plug-in/add-in to enable the user to have resell rights of their custom
developed application..."

As an example, I sell Excel add-ins (developed using XLM and VBA in standard
Excel) at http://www.treeplan.com.

But, perhaps I am not understanding your question, or maybe you have
something else in mind.

- Mike

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Alton Jones -

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Exce.../dp/1556156324

But it is quite possible to develop Excel applications and Excel add-ins
using only Excel's built-in VBA.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Alton Jones" <Alton wrote in message
I am looking for the replacement package for the above referenced
application
which I purchased in the mid-1990s and have since misplaced. I am
interested
in developing MS Excel applications for resell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Alton Jones" wrote in message
Perhaps one has to buy MS Office Professional and then has to buy some
sort
of plug-in/add-in to enable the user to have resell rights of their custom
developed application...

Nope. You can develop and distribute applications in any written in any
Office application (and with the Visual Studio applications) without paying
any royalties to or getting permission from Microsoft. The only restriction
is that there are a few controls that you cannot distribute. These are
listed in a file called "Reedits.txt". Also, you cannot distribute the host
application itself (e.g., Excel or PowerPoint) with your application. Your
end users must have their own copy of the host application.

You may well be thinking of what MS called the Developer's Edition of
Office. This included a number tools and utilities for developing
Office-based applications. These included, if memory serves, the Window API
Text Viewer program, the Code Librarian, SPY++, and a few others. I have
Visual Studio 6 Enterprise, 2002, 2003, and 2005 Professional, so I forget
what programs were included with what package. The most important, in my
opinion, were the tools and libraries in the Developer's Edition that
allowed you to create COM Add-Ins in the VBA Editor, rather than with only
Visual Studio. I write all my Add-Ins in VB6 or VB.NET/VSTO, but for
developers who don't want to shell out the big bucks for VS, the Office
Developer's Edition's ability to create COM Add-Ins is quite important. I
think MS sold the Developer's Edition tools and utilities as a separate
package up through Office 2002.

I believe, but I'm not sure, that starting with 2003, the Developer's Tools
were incorporated with the Professional/Enterprise Editions of Office, but
not the Standard and Student/Teacher's versions. So if you have Office 2003
Professional/Enterprise, you have the Developer's Tools. I don't believe you
can purchase them as a separate package any more.

I don't know what versions of Office 2007 will include the Developer's Tools
(there are 7 (count 'em 7!!) different configurations of Office 2007,
starting with Student/Home Edition up through Ultimate ). I use Office 2007
Ultimate, which includes everything. See
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...CL100571081033
for info about the various configurations of Office 2007.

--

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Alton Jones -

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Exce.../dp/1556156324

But it is quite possible to develop Excel applications and Excel add-ins
using only Excel's built-in VBA.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Alton Jones" <Alton wrote in message
I am looking for the replacement package for the above referenced
application
which I purchased in the mid-1990s and have since misplaced. I am
interested
in developing MS Excel applications for resell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Office 2002(XP) Developer Edition has the separate Office Development Tools
along with some other tools like Workflow Designer for SQL Server and Workflow
Designer for Exchange 2000 Server and Visual SourceSafe and Code Librarian.

Gord

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:19:38 -0600, "Chip Pearson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mike,

I believe I was mistaken in thinking there was a MS Office SDK. I purchased
MS Office and later purchased MS Access SDK to have a reseller license for
the custom Access databases I created.

It has been years since I have developed applications as you may have
noticed...and my brain is a bit fuzzy.

:-)

I did some additional research and discovered that one can use Microsoft's
Information Rights Management capability found only in a MS Office Pro
purchase to control documents. However, there is a concern about having the
rights to resell one's document.

I thought reselling a spreadsheet was like reselling a purchased copy of MS
Excel...

Maybe I'm missing something...

Would you agree that Microsoft enables developers to create documents from
its applications for resell, because only licensed end-users can view that
purchased document?

So, is there some type of SDK for MS Excel, like there was for MS Access?
If so, what is it called now?

Any additional product specifications (e.g., white papers) would be
appreciated.