Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Beta / Command Buttons

Hi,

I can add command button to my Ribbon but clicking on it doesn't produce any
results, whether or not I have Design mode activated. Also, right clicking
on existing buttons I brought in from 2003 does not give a menu of options,
and double-clicking on those buttons does not take me to the code. Has
anyone had success with command buttons yet in the beta, and if so, how? I
want to add new buttons and edit the existing ones without having to guess
which button is being referenced in the code.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Deb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Confusing post because Command buttons go on worksheets. They have nothing
to do with the Ribbon.

Anyway after I add a command button the a worksheet (Developer tab, Controls
group, Insert) and double click it, I go directly to the code for it. So
this is working just as it does in Excel 2003 for me.

--
Jim
"Deb Plosk77" <Deb wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I can add command button to my Ribbon but clicking on it doesn't produce
any
| results, whether or not I have Design mode activated. Also, right
clicking
| on existing buttons I brought in from 2003 does not give a menu of
options,
| and double-clicking on those buttons does not take me to the code. Has
| anyone had success with command buttons yet in the beta, and if so, how?
| want to add new buttons and edit the existing ones without having to guess
| which button is being referenced in the code.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
| Deb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. I see how what I wrote was confusing ... I just
mentioned the ribbon due to reading another post about forms and someone
suggested adding something to the ribbon and then clicking on it from there
.... I wanted to clarify I'd tried that already ...

I am missing the developer tab, that could contribute. I've got Home,
Insert, Page Layout, Formulas, Data, Review, View, Add-ins across the top.

Looks like I don't have Beta 2, but Beta ... I'll have to follow up with our
IT guy.

Thanks much.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Confusing post because Command buttons go on worksheets. They have nothing
to do with the Ribbon.

Anyway after I add a command button the a worksheet (Developer tab, Controls
group, Insert) and double click it, I go directly to the code for it. So
this is working just as it does in Excel 2003 for me.

--
Jim
"Deb Plosk77" <Deb wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I can add command button to my Ribbon but clicking on it doesn't produce
any
| results, whether or not I have Design mode activated. Also, right
clicking
| on existing buttons I brought in from 2003 does not give a menu of
options,
| and double-clicking on those buttons does not take me to the code. Has
| anyone had success with command buttons yet in the beta, and if so, how?
| want to add new buttons and edit the existing ones without having to guess
| which button is being referenced in the code.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
| Deb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim, others,

My last response turned out not to be true. Although the about only says
"Beta" looks like I do have Beta 2.

In exploring Excel options I managed to get the developer tab on, enable
macros, enable activeX controls, but on the Controls group the Insert button
is still grayed out, on any page that already had buttons imported from 2003.
On pages that had no buttons, insert is un-grayed. Any further thoughts ...
perhaps those pages are somehow protected because of the status of Excel at
the moment that I converted the file?

Thanks,
Deb

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Confusing post because Command buttons go on worksheets. They have nothing
to do with the Ribbon.

Anyway after I add a command button the a worksheet (Developer tab, Controls
group, Insert) and double click it, I go directly to the code for it. So
this is working just as it does in Excel 2003 for me.

--
Jim
"Deb Plosk77" <Deb wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I can add command button to my Ribbon but clicking on it doesn't produce
any
| results, whether or not I have Design mode activated. Also, right
clicking
| on existing buttons I brought in from 2003 does not give a menu of
options,
| and double-clicking on those buttons does not take me to the code. Has
| anyone had success with command buttons yet in the beta, and if so, how?
| want to add new buttons and edit the existing ones without having to guess
| which button is being referenced in the code.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
| Deb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only reason I can think of for the Insert button to be disabled is
because the worksheet is protected. To check that go to the Review tab.
The first button in the Changes group (B2TR) says "Unprotect Sheet" if that
is the problem. Another possibility might be if the workbook is shared
(Share Workbook in the same group). No other ideas at the moment.

--
Jim

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Confusing post because Command buttons go on worksheets. They have
nothing
to do with the Ribbon.

Anyway after I add a command button the a worksheet (Developer tab,
Controls
group, Insert) and double click it, I go directly to the code for it. So
this is working just as it does in Excel 2003 for me.

--
Jim
"Deb Plosk77" <Deb wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I can add command button to my Ribbon but clicking on it doesn't
produce
any
| results, whether or not I have Design mode activated. Also, right
clicking
| on existing buttons I brought in from 2003 does not give a menu of
options,
| and double-clicking on those buttons does not take me to the code. Has
| anyone had success with command buttons yet in the beta, and if so,
how?
| want to add new buttons and edit the existing ones without having to
guess
| which button is being referenced in the code.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
| Deb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Jim, that was it. Seems like every time I close and open my workbook
it re-protects sheets with buttons ... that's probably another option i'll
have to figure out at some point but for now everything i need to do I can.
I appreciate your help and direction.

Deb