Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default template questions

i have a workbook i saved as a template, filename.xlt
1. i sent it to a client and when they opened it, it showed filename1 in the
title bar. when i open it, it's still called filename.xlt

2. when they tried to run code i have that opens another workbook, it wouldn't
open it.

anyone know why these things happened?
--

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A template file is normally used to create new .xls files. When you choose
File | New and then On My Computer you go to the place where template files
are stored. When you choose a template it is given the main part of the
template's file name, a number beginning with 1 and file type of .xls,

So when the other person goes through that process, they are choosing
filename.xlt as the template and it is being named as filename1.xls

Back at your place, you probably still have file Type selected as .xlt and
when you open it, Excel thinks you still want to edit the template rather
than creating a new file from it.

As for that other person not being able to get it to open workbooks that
code in that workbook refers to, that could be caused by several things: do
they even have those workbooks available to be opened and are those workbooks
in the same path that was specified in the code?

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook i saved as a template, filename.xlt
1. i sent it to a client and when they opened it, it showed filename1 in the
title bar. when i open it, it's still called filename.xlt

2. when they tried to run code i have that opens another workbook, it wouldn't
open it.

anyone know why these things happened?
--

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok, thanks for the explanation.

regarding whether they have the files, they do. they're the ones that gave them
to me to automate. doesn't work on another pc i have here, either. just won't
open the file.

i am not going to worry about it, i scrapped the template idea and moved on.

--

Gary

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook i saved as a template, filename.xlt
1. i sent it to a client and when they opened it, it showed filename1 in the
title bar. when i open it, it's still called filename.xlt

2. when they tried to run code i have that opens another workbook, it
wouldn't
open it.

anyone know why these things happened?
--

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

They could have different paths to those files - when I send extra files to
work with like that I usually tell them to put everything into the same
folder and then the problem is greatly reduced. You can even build the path
to them again with code like this:

Dim MyPath As String
Dim OtherPath As String
MyPath = ThisWorkbook.FullName
OtherPath = Left(MyPath, Len(MyPath) - Len(ThisWorkbook.Name)) & "other.xls"
and then open using OtherPath - it will have full path to the folder that
all of the workbooks are in if they are all in the same folder.

With some substitution, you can actually do away with the MyPath variable if
you want to. Turns out to look something like this:

OtherPath = Left(ThisWorkbook.FullName, Len(ThisWorkbook.FullName) - _
Len(ThisWorkbook.Name)) & "other.xls"

Good luck with the project.

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook i saved as a template, filename.xlt
1. i sent it to a client and when they opened it, it showed filename1 in the
title bar. when i open it, it's still called filename.xlt

2. when they tried to run code i have that opens another workbook, it
wouldn't
open it.

anyone know why these things happened?
--

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OOPS! I should mention that the current workbook does not have a .FullName
property until it's been saved! I.e., if you create it from a template as
you were doing, the .FullName property would not be set yet. But if you open
an already created .xls file from hard drive, then the .FullName property
does have value.

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook i saved as a template, filename.xlt
1. i sent it to a client and when they opened it, it showed filename1 in the
title bar. when i open it, it's still called filename.xlt

2. when they tried to run code i have that opens another workbook, it
wouldn't
open it.

anyone know why these things happened?
--

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the files are in the same path, the same folder. it works fine when they execute
the same code when it's an xls file, just doesn't work when it's an xlt file.

same code, same path, same filenames everything. just the master is an xlt
instead of an xls. like i mentioned, it does the same thing on a pc i have
sitting right next to me. it's nothing to do with the path or the other
filename. it has to do with the template file.

like i mentioned, i already gave up on it and moved on.

thanks for you help.