Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Template questions

I wish to distribute a template over a network, and the best method I've
seen described is to place the file on the
Server in a network folder, to which all the relevant users
have access.
I believe the next step is to run a batch file (which should
be located in each user's XLStart folder) to fetch a copy of the template to
their local drive, each time they start Excel.

Q1. What might that batch file look like?
Q2. Where does the template copy get stored?

Regards.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not just change the workgroup template location to point at that nice common
location?

Inside MSWord(!).
Tools|options|File Locations tab|
Workgroup templates

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks.
Ok did that, then restarted Excel.
Clicked FileNew and in the New Workbook pane
there was an entry for TemplatesOn my computer.
My file was listed there.

Was that as you intended........sorry, bit confused about this.
Regards.

Stuart wrote:

I wish to distribute a template over a network, and the best method I've
seen described is to place the file on the
Server in a network folder, to which all the relevant users
have access.
I believe the next step is to run a batch file (which should
be located in each user's XLStart folder) to fetch a copy of the template
their local drive, each time they start Excel.

Q1. What might that batch file look like?
Q2. Where does the template copy get stored?

Regards.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another way to get to that setting (if your version of office supports it and
you have it installed) is through the Office shortcut bar. (xl2003 killed the
office shortbar, though.)

Stuart wrote:

I wish to distribute a template over a network, and the best method I've
seen described is to place the file on the
Server in a network folder, to which all the relevant users
have access.
I believe the next step is to run a batch file (which should
be located in each user's XLStart folder) to fetch a copy of the template
their local drive, each time they start Excel.

Q1. What might that batch file look like?
Q2. Where does the template copy get stored?

Regards.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Based on my clients, not *that* odd...<g